UKC

Heart rate spikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Patriot 14 Apr 2013
Hi all.
My Garmin Forerunner 210 heart rate monitor has started showing some spurious heart rate spikes of up to 220 bpm during a 5k run. It's usually around about 144 ish.
I always wash the chest strap in cold water,I've changed the battery and always make sure the electrode pads are moist.
I've ordered some gel to try on the pads. Can anybody help with the problem other than getting a new strap and transmitter?
Thanks very much.
Removed User 14 Apr 2013
In reply to gleaney:

What a coincidence! I've started seeing them as well and was wondering whether they're defect in the instrument or a defect in my heart....

Mine normally occur a few minutes into a run just a single peak that drops quite rapidly and after that it's business as usual.

No idea what the problem is though.

Removed User 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Oh yeah, my Garmin is about one year old and I use it between 3 and 5 times a week.
interdit 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Usergleaney)
>
> Mine normally occur a few minutes into a run just a single peak that drops quite rapidly and after that it's business as usual.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html
Removed User 14 Apr 2013
In reply to interdit:

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm seeing.

Nice to know I'm not going to end up blue and lying face down on a pavement somewhere.

Jim Braid 14 Apr 2013
In reply to gleaney: I experienced a similar thing with the heart rate spike then all OK so mentioned it to my doctor when I was in seeing him on something else. Turns out it could be SVT. Here's the Wikipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supraventricular_tachycardia

Haven't had or needed any treatment nor has it had any impact on my activities.

I can feel my heart pounding for just a few seconds then it goes back to normal.

Might be worth a chat to the doctor especially if you can link the spike to physical sensations.
OP The Patriot 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Braid: thanks for the reply. It's defiantly not that as sometimes the monitor goes down to 20bpm and then goes off completely. To be honest I think it's a static interference problem.
 Ander 15 Apr 2013
In reply to gleaney:

A common issue. Could be down to:
1) low battery (cost you a aobut a fiver to replace yourself)
2) static interference (changing your tshirt to cotton can help)
3) radio/ electrical interference (not much you can do about this, except change where you run- this tends to happen in the same place on more or less (not all) occassions.
4) the strap is buggerred.

Garmin HR straps (particularly the 'premium' one) have a very poor failure rate.

Look on the forums on the Garmin website for more info.

If you're worried about your heart,go see a GP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...