UKC

kinder downfall race

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex@home 14 Apr 2013
anyone else do it today?
it was an obvious misnomer as the downfall was in full upfall mode. wind was strong enough to stop me in my tracks at points and i don't think i've ever been so happy to get to kinderlow and know that it's downhill all the way.
it was my first time round and i'm seeing the retrospective enjoyment now. looking forward to next year already
 DancingOnRock 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex@home: No but I may put it in my diary.

Any links?

Is there an entry requirement?
 Banned User 77 14 Apr 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: No don't think so.. basic 10 miler.. pretty fast running..

Didn't do it really wanted to.. but my flight was 16:00 from MAN back so decided not too

Look at Kinder Trog later in the year, similarish loop, just longer at the start and finish...
 steveriley 15 Apr 2013
Great stuff. My first proper fell race a few years ago.
OP Alex@home 15 Apr 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:

local races linked from here:
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~temples/hc/

entry requirements - over 18s only
otherwise it's the usual FRA guidelines. there are kit checks before the start.
didn't enjoy it half way round but feeling really good about it today. highly recommended
 DancingOnRock 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex@home: Thanks. I looked at the Kinder Trog and it's Experience Required.

Will have a look for some others.
 Banned User 77 15 Apr 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: Surprised about that.. its basically a trail race.. only a few minor parts where nav is needed, but a runnable 15-16 miles or so..
 DancingOnRock 16 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I think I'll mail them and find out what experience they'll accept.
 Graeme 16 Apr 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:
> (In reply to Alex@home) Thanks. I looked at the Kinder Trog and it's Experience Required.
>
> Will have a look for some others.

Th experience required is just something that organisers put on there so you don't get novices showing up who have never run more than 10k on the roads. It's just a basic FRA suggestion. If you have run on the fells before and have a bit of racing experience it should be well within your capabilities.
In reply to Graeme:

Thanks. The actual website doesn't say anything about it being ER. In fact I'm a bit cheered to see that the only info about it is the price, what time to turn up and where. None of this £35 by PayPal, tshirt, goody bag, and medal stuff.

I've done the LDWA 28mile south downs marathon a couple of times, the Rutland water marathon in November (trail and serious wind chil) and I'm heading over to the Brecons this weekend and will do some more solo running in the hills. I've spent many days winter walking up on Kinder I'd love to run up there. Looks like a good one.
 Graeme 16 Apr 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock: According to the FRA fixture calendar it's ER/LK/NS/PM which is experience required, local knowledge of use, navigational skills required, part marked (Usually the start on to the fells, or at the end, or this will be if going across a sensitive area. There's a map on the FRA website on the Kinder Trog thread, failing that I can send you a copy if your interested.
 Banned User 77 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Graeme: It was fairly well marked last year.. a tad sketchy over kinder low? But then flagged for much of it..
In reply to Graeme: Yes, that's the site I first saw. Then I looked at the Hayfield AC site. I'll look at the FRA site and see if I can get up there. I've got 1:25k maps of the area. Cheers.
 Graeme 17 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Fair enough, my usual experience of part marked is access to and from the fells. Still not had chance to do this or Kinder Downfall and they've been on my hit list for years.
sbrt 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex@home:

Many thanks to Dave Soles and all who made it happen.

We had a cracking day out. The shower at the Kinder upfall was good fun and very refreshing.

Profile and checkpoints- http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/temples-bin/hc.pl?a=prof&d=hc&f=kinder-down...

Someone's Mapmyrun http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/temples-bin/hc.pl?a=prof&d=hc&f=kinder-down...

Or up along and back down.

Some photos from this years race https://picasaweb.google.com/sbrt14467/KinderDownfall14April2013?authuser=0...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...