UKC

October destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking for suggestions/advice on an October destination for a group of varying grades. So far the short list is Kalymnos, Mallorca and Croatia. Tenerife off the list as we climb there in winter months. Reviews/suggestions please!
 matiamallia 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Maria Bechaalani: It's Kalymnos for me but I have not been to the other places. http://climbkalymnos.com/
Great variety of grades and styles on sound limestone, swimming , north face festival ,good food , cheap accomodation and so much more
 1poundSOCKS 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Maria Bechaalani: Yosemite.
 john arran 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Maria Bechaalani:

October is often the best month of the year for cragging in Ariège and there's immense variety of grades, rock types, multi-pitch, mountain/valley, sun/shade, etc. all in a very compact area. New Rockfax too.
 seankenny 15 Apr 2013

South of France. Font. Catalunya.

Zillions really, depends what you want to do I guess.
 Rog Wilko 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Maria Bechaalani: Kaly is great in October, but everyone knows so I hear that in recent years it is getting seriously busy! I would add to John A's recommendations other parts of Southern France which are possibly at their most welcoming in October. In particular, the Cote d'Azur area and Provence.
We (Lancs C&CC) have recently had a trip to Provence staying in Malaucene where there are many crags within half an hour drive (some less) with PLENTY of really good routes in the 4 & 5 grades as well as unlimited harder routes. Mostly, polished holds aren't a huge problem. I can recommend a fabulous gite complex near Malaucene where you can rent different sized gites to suit your needs. Very good spot, and not expensive in the off-season. We would definitely return to the area and the accommodation. If you look in my logbook you will get details of the crags we visited.
 ripper 15 Apr 2013
all of the above, also costa blanca, sardinia, sicily - pretty much anywhere in southern europe/mediterranean I would have thought?
 dunnyg 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Maria Bechaalani: Moab
 seankenny 15 Apr 2013
In reply to ripper:

The thing is, Costa Blanca is cheap and easy, but doesn't really have that much else going for it. The region is a riot of uncontrolled urban sprawl, ugly and built up, and the climbing is good but not often great.

I await Chris Craggs' reply with interest
 Rog Wilko 15 Apr 2013
In reply to seankenny:
> (In reply to ripper)
>
> The region is a riot of uncontrolled urban sprawl, ugly and built up, and the climbing is good but not often great.
>
I share this view. The ambience of south of France is much better (though Cote d'Azur is a bit overdeveloped).

In reply to 1poundSOCKS: one day!!
In reply to john arran: Thanks John, really enjoyed it last year, you're on the list!
In reply to seankenny: Me too! Looking wet for October though, I'll watch this space...!
In reply to Rog Wilko: Great! Thanks, I'll get looking
 john arran 20 Apr 2013
> (In reply to john arran) Thanks John, really enjoyed it last year, you're on the list!

Oops! Sorry Maria - I didn't know it was you as I don't think I've ever seen your last name before. Glad you had a good time here anyway.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Apr 2013

Sicily, Sardinia or Corsica. Cote d'Azur, Haute Provence or Languadoc?

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...