UKC

thin waterproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 15 Apr 2013
For backup in British summertime. I have a 3 layer Goretex coat but wanting something for summer use to meet these requirements:

- active cut
- fully waterproof not showerproof
- windproof
- wired peak hood
- breathable
- durable enough to not get trashed if wearing a 40ish ltr rucksack.

Appreciate any offers people can recommend.

Cheers,

AT
 LiamJC 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
I have a Haglofs endo jacket, might fit the bill. I use it cycling with a rucksack and its stood up to about 6 months of horrible scottish weather well. Still looks brand new after a wash.
 TJ1993 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Can second for anything with Goretex Active, it really is amazing stuff, lightweight and will never have any sort of internal condensation.

Personally have the Berghaus Velum, but am really impressed with the fabric.
 Andy Mott 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Have a look at the Montane Minimus and Mountain Minimus. Pertex Shield, taped seams, wired hood, 1 or 2 pockets (std vs mountain) and very light. My other half uses the Minimus for ultra marathons in the mountains and swears by hers - this includes wearing a pack as there are kit requirements for these events.
 galpinos 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Mountain Equipment Firefox/Firefly depending on jacket/smock prefernece.

I shall be rocking the smock this summer.

(Active shell is a million times better than paclite)
 Dan_S 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

I'd recommend a neoshell jacket. Something like the Rab MMyriad jacket, or if you can wait a bit, the Montane Further Faster jacket.
 Mr-Cowdrey 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I'd suggest either the Marmot super mica jacket or the MH quasar. The Quasar is a smock though and uses MH own waterproof membrane. I too am looking for a summer waterproof and have tried both of these and can't decided which I like the best.
 LucaC 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: +1 for Pertex shield. Rab have got some nice new ones out.
 BnB 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Dan_S:

I like the look of the Rab Myriad jacket as an Autumn to Winter duty jacket but at 410 grams vs Marmot super mica at 249g, not to mention more than twice the price in some stores. Game over.

Neoshell looks an increasingly interesting option for a winter shell up against Goretex pro, but there's a way to go yet before it'll rival minimal summer membranes.
 gear boy 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: as kind of previously stated, save your money, dont buy Gore active or Neoshell, price and weight..

Marmot mica, super mica, but doesnt have wired hood
Montane Minimus or Minimus Mountain
Rab Volt, Spark

These all use very similar fabrics but with different levels of performance and weight

buy what fits best, but it will probably live in your pack more than you wear it
Oliiver 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I've got a pair of Firefox pants, and the fabric is exactly what you're after. Lightweight, flexible and I presume extremely breathable
 martinph78 15 Apr 2013
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
>
> Mountain Equipment Firefox/Firefly depending on jacket/smock prefernece.
>
> (Active shell is a million times better than paclite)

Agree 100% with this.

Dino Dave 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: another shout for the montane minimus. Pertex shield + has a HH of 20,000 and a MVTR of 25,000 if that means anything to you. Very very light. Rab make a couple of jackets with the same material which are very similar. Much cheaper than goretex and event as well!!
 mattking_109 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: another vote for the ME firefox. I got mine on sale for £120 from cotswolds last year. Always keep it in the bottom of the bag in summer. I've also used it in winter, but have ended up with a few small tears as a result - I don't think it's designed for thrutching up iced up chimneys in poor style...
 Si dH 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
I like my Rab Momentum. Very light, waterproof, great cut (long sleeves).

Might depend how often you wear the rucksack.
 Darkskys 15 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I'm against the Pertex Shield, had to take my Rab jacket back as it wasn't performing very well. i was gutted as it fit the bill extremely well but as I was using it to commute and for light running it just wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be.
It wet's through very easily in my opinion
OP AdCo82 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Darkskys:

anyone got experience of what the Rab Spark is like with a rucksack?
 drsdave 16 Apr 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Im still using a berghaus paclite. had it now some 5 years plus and it still working well.
andyco13 16 Apr 2013
In reply to TJ1993:
> (In reply to An Triubhas) Can second for anything with Goretex Active, it really is amazing stuff, lightweight and will never have any sort of internal condensation.
>
> Personally have the Berghaus Velum, but am really impressed with the fabric.

+1

Dauphin 16 Apr 2013
In reply to tomjagger:

Ain't bad either, bit over sized but decent jacket, not sure its super light as other pertex offerings.

D
 Dauphin 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

With these super light weight jackets I tend to factor in only getting a year out of it. If it lasts any longer then great.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...