/ Portable gas cooker recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jus - on 15 Apr 2013
Hi, we need a new stove to use with our camper van.

Has anyone got any pointers towards the best stove like one of these?

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/gelert-portable-gas-cooker-97120032?id_colour=180

Thanks a lot
IPPurewater on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:I'd check the price of the gas cylinders for this type of stove. They used to be rather expensive compared to the Gamping gaz or screw in type.
CarolineMc - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: I've seen some fantastic random flames come out of these stoves, where the seal between the bottle and the stove can be less than effective... be aware! Personally I'd go for a campingaz style over one of these. Co:
wilkie14c - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: We have the 'camping chef' on this page:
http://www.campingaz.com/uk/c-597-2-burner-stoves.aspx
It uses a refillable gas cylinder, we have had it 4 years and only had to fill the cylinder once, costs about 16 quid to refil. you do need to buy the cylinder to start with though <pinch one from the tip!> its very versitile as a lamp heap and parabolic header head all screw into the same cylinder. the cooker itself has a grill so toast for breakfast!
Tall Clare - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to CarolineMc:

Blue Straggler had one that caught fire in an unfortunate way while we were camping a few years ago - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
In reply to blanchie14c:

Toast! Wow!
In reply to Tall Clare:
blue straggler breaks everything he touches though to be fair, look at the car saga threads! ;-)
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Toast! Wow!

don't knock it, toast is suprisingly versitile when camping. Scrambled eggs on toast of a morning is far more welcoming and filling than a couple of tracker bars <that I normally make do with when light camping> and when you have kiddiewinks with you they are ALWAYS hungry. bright orange stuff in a tin on toast shuts them up for a while I find....
Neil Williams - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:

Those things drink gas like there's no tomorrow. You're better off buying a proper one e.g. a 2 burner Gaz with a separate bottle (Calor or Gaz).

Neil
In reply to blanchie14c:

Our Scout Group has 4 "Camping Kitchens" from that range used on Calor bottles with Calor regulators (I don't like Gaz bottles as they have a habit of leaking at the valve). They're fine, only problem is that the smaller of the 2 burners is a bit small so can be slow. Made a very slight modification to them in gluing the taps on, though, they tend to fall off otherwise.

Neil
In reply to blanchie14c:

Not knocking it - sounds good to me!
Jus - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus:

Oh no!

So are there no decent ones?

We have various lightweight mountaineering stoves but were after something more camping orientated for the van without need a large gas bottle & locker etc. We have units in the van but opted for no built in stove/ sink unit.
Jus - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

I do like the camping chef but was after something more compact...
In reply to Jus: I've seen plently of these at campsites, bit futuristic looking but they take bog standard screw on gas canisters that screw on from underneth, not a non-standard, thin cartrige type. The thing being is that wilkinsons are doing the 250 size gas at 2 for 6 quid. I've stocked up and got 6 last week.

http://www.wilko.com/camping/gemini-gas-stove-dual-cartridge-redsilver-effect/invt/0331542?VBMST=cam...
In reply to Jus:

Camping Kitchen is quite a bit smaller.

Neil
In reply to Jus:

That type are all the same, just badged.

Neil
Jus - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Jus)
>
> Camping Kitchen is quite a bit smaller.
>
> Neil

I see.

Can you use large refillable bottles and normal cannisters with that?
Jus - on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:
> (In reply to Jus)
>
> That type are all the same, just badged.
>
> Neil

There are some ones from Japan called Awatani which look good. http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-000BTU-Portable-Butane-Stove/dp/B00522F2R2

But you cant buy them here!
In reply to Jus:
Not with mine. It connects via a regulator and rubber hose to the refillable.
this is the one i have. Note though that they aren't actually refilled - you take yours in empty and they swap it for a full one.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/campingaz-gaz-904-cyclinder-style-camping-gas-refill-p118518
In reply to Jus: scroll down on that wilkinson page I linked to, there is a very similar one under the 'yellowstone' brand. Tenner!
martinph78 on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Jus: I have one like you have linked and to be honest, they do the job well. Perfect for leaving in the back of the van for a quick brew, bit of breakfast, soup, hot choc when you get back to the car etc. I use mine when car camping as well.

The gas is really cheap for them.

I have a Coleman petrol stove (double burner) and a primus omnifuel. The briefcase one gets used the most as it is so convenient.

The only time I find it utter rubbish is in the winter. The gas doesn't like to be cold. 11 is a good price, shop around for the gas on ebay.
In reply to Jus:

Gaz or Calor depending on your choice of regulator. Not the small type you use with backpacking stoves.

Neil
In reply to Martin1978:

Are people sending the gas through the post? I hope not - it isn't allowed, for good reason.

Neil
ads.ukclimbing.com
martinph78 on 15 Apr 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: Yup. Don't shoot the messenger.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.