UKC

Snowdonia Winter Climbing Video!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 15 Apr 2013
Morning all

During the recent extended winter conditions found in Snowdonia at Easter a couple of weeks back, my partners in crime and I managed a quick smash and grab raid on the modest but classic routes “Sergeant’s Gully” and “Parsley Fern Left Hand” on a baltic, but perfect day of weather with the surrounding mountains looking positively alpine. The area was in full-on winter condition and the routes provided most excellent sport. The entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested in viewing a short HD film then please use the following link. Unsurprisingly, being a glorious Easter weekend, the 2 routes were very busy (with associated falling debris and all!) so there are quite a lot of unknown solo and roped climbers featured, so if you were in this area around that weekend do have a look as you may recognize yourself immortalised on film and do let us know if you see yourself!
Anyway all constructive feedback welcome and hopefully it will inspire a few folks to visit this superb area next time it is in winter nick!
youtube.com/watch?v=WzY_z0tBmfw&
If you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to at least 720p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen.

Cheers Dave
 goatee 15 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Great video Dave. Full of stunning imagery and beautiful soundtrack. Well done. What a winters day out. Lucky devil.
 jshields 15 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Thanks Dave, think this one was better than the last (Trinity?). Made me sad it has all gone till next year!
Cheers,
Jon
 ian bryant 15 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: very nice. great momento of an exceptional wintery easter!
 ezzpbee 15 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Great video and amazing conditions for time of year, nice to to see Sergeants Gully without gale force spindrift I wondered what it looked like when I climbed it the weekend before
 Fraser 15 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Very nicely shot and edited. Soundtrack was a good choice too. The only very minor comment I'd have is that the place names were too large and garishly coloured. If it were me, I think I'd have chosen a simple, 'cleaner' font and positioned the titles closer to the bottom of the frame than the top. But that's being very picky, sorry
 sbc_10 15 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another great vid. Keep doing these kind of routes, as they are the ones I know I can have a crack at myself.
Really clear visuals and just the right time allowed for scene changes.
Some films are over indulgent (time frame wise) on landscapes, and too quick at the mechanics of climbing. Yours seem really easy to watch and it not clunky in this respect.
Keep up the good work.
Do some Lakes or Scottish classics next.(?)
cheers.
OP BALD EAGLE 16 Apr 2013
In reply to goatee:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Great video Dave. Full of stunning imagery and beautiful soundtrack. Well done. What a winters day out. Lucky devil.

Hey goatee really appreciate the positive feedback and "hell yeah" I was very lucky as it was a top winters day out!
In reply to wobl, ian bryant and jshields:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Great video and amazing conditions for time of year, nice to to see Sergeants Gully without gale force spindrift I wondered what it looked like when I climbed it the weekend before

Cheers for the positive feedback guys and yep pretty amazing conditions for Snowdonia for the time of year! The mountains looked amazing and positively alpine!
 MattJP 16 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Superb video! Loved the soundtrack to it, and the bits of vocab from the climbers just worked so well!

Amazing conditions and equally amazing video! Well done and keep them coming!

Sham I missed most of the snow this season!
 MagnusL 16 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Another cracker Dave.
 lucyh 16 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Each one gets better Dave!
 SimonCRMC 16 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Thanks for that - brilliant video, and really inspiring for those of us who climb lower grade stuff!
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE)
>
> Very nicely shot and edited. Soundtrack was a good choice too. The only very minor comment I'd have is that the place names were too large and garishly coloured. If it were me, I think I'd have chosen a simple, 'cleaner' font and positioned the titles closer to the bottom of the frame than the top. But that's being very picky, sorry

Hey Fraser thanks for the constructive feedback and I think you are right in the sense that maybe the text was a wee bit too large but I quite liked the "Lyndsey Pro" font!
OP BALD EAGLE 17 Apr 2013
In reply to sbc_10:
>
> Another great vid. Keep doing these kind of routes, as they are the ones I know I can have a crack at myself.
> Keep up the good work.
> Do some Lakes or Scottish classics next.(?)
> cheers.

Hey sbc really appreciate your appreciation so many thanks! I'm off to Scotland late May for a flying visit but have plans to squeeze in a classic Scottish rock route so watch this space...
OP BALD EAGLE 18 Apr 2013
In reply to MattJP:
>
> Superb video! Loved the soundtrack to it, and the bits of vocab from the climbers just worked so well!
>
> Amazing conditions and equally amazing video! Well done and keep them coming!
>
> Sham I missed most of the snow this season!

Hey Matt thanks everso for your positive comments! Yep alas the snow has just about gone in most places so time to dust of the rock shoes until next winter...

BusyLizzie 18 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Wonderful! What is the music (I'd like to play it)?
Lizzie
OP BALD EAGLE 19 Apr 2013
In reply to BusyLizzie:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Wonderful! What is the music (I'd like to play it)?
> Lizzie

Hey Lizzie many thanks and glad you enjoyed it. The music is the instrumental version of "To build a home" by Cinematic Orchestra so good luck in learning this piece!
 pepperpot 19 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

REALLY enjoyed that. Thanks very much.
 Stanners 19 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:
Great vid monsieur Eagle, they really do keep getting better! Orchestra style music complements the overwhelming and epic mountain landscape shots! Stay safe, keep climbing, keep filming
Removed User 19 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

cracking video, enjoyed that
OP BALD EAGLE 20 Apr 2013
In reply to pepperpot:
>
> REALLY enjoyed that. Thanks very much.

...REALLY appreciate your appreciation! Cheers!
OP BALD EAGLE 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Stanners, simon c, lucyh and SimonCRMC :
> Great vid monsieur Eagle, they really do keep getting better! Orchestra style music complements the overwhelming and epic mountain landscape shots! Stay safe, keep climbing, keep filming

Thanks guys for all your positive feedback and surreal to think the video was shot just 3 weekends ago now that spring has finally sprung!
Cheers Dave
 WildWeasel 21 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Excellent video! The music and dialogue worked superbly so thanks for sharing!
OP BALD EAGLE 22 Apr 2013
In reply to WildWeasel:
>
> Excellent video! The music and dialogue worked superbly so thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Bobling 22 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Agree everyone else - that was lovely cheers. I still don't quite see the attraction in winter climbing ; )
OP BALD EAGLE 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Bobling:
>
> Agree everyone else - that was lovely cheers. I still don't quite see the attraction in winter climbing ; )

Cheers Bobling! Hmmm now let me see the attraction of winter climbing where on earth do you start...

kiwi boy 24 Apr 2013
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Finally had chance to view Dave. The def is excellent and the footage is stunning. Wish i could have joined you. What a winter. Hope next season is as good
Cheers Andy
OP BALD EAGLE 25 Apr 2013
In reply to kiwi boy:
> (In reply to BALD EAGLE) Finally had chance to view Dave. The def is excellent and the footage is stunning. Wish i could have joined you. What a winter. Hope next season is as good
> Cheers Andy

Hey Andy many thanks for the positive comments and fingers crossed for another great winter next season!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...