/ seam sealer for me tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dubwoy - on 17 Apr 2013
Hi All,
Im going to Iceland for a two week charity bike ride and as the winds can be brutal so Im looking at sealing the seams for a bit of extra strength. i read a report stating that due to winds a couples tent had the stitching holes stretch out and leak due to windy conditions.
Would seam seal/grip help?
Which stuff is best?
Ill be taking a newish akto which I've never seam sealed because its never needed it.
Cheers for any advice Rich
Gavin - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to dubwoy:

Are your seams taped already on the inside? Most tents are, but I know my TNF one wasn't and I had to seal the seams to waterproof the fly. Once applied and dried, there is some flexibility in seam grip, so if the tent fabric has streched along the seams and pulled any tape that is already there it should help keep the fly from leaking.

If the Akto fly is a silicone coated, as opposed to PU, then then it might be worth seaking out the seam grip product that's designed for that specifically.

Gavin
IPPurewater on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to dubwoy: https://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=SIL

This one is suitable for silicon coated nylon.

Ian
ads.ukclimbing.com
ice.solo - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to dubwoy:

yep. have used silnet on all sorts of things. good stuff.
use a syringe and bead it in. if you go to BDs site there may be instructions on how to do their tents. not rocket surgery, but best done right.

havent tested the leaking aspect of wind-hammered tents, but have had guys torn out from seams that were also seamsealed, so be careful of that. (winds were approx 95kmph according to the next days report).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.