UKC

Help! - Hand Pain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dino Dave 17 Apr 2013
Welcome all,

About four years ago whilst climbing a flake, I got a sharp pain in my right hand (described below). Since then it has been on and off but has been causing me more grief lately.

When I bend my right wrist (in the same direction your fingers curl up) and pull with my fingers (mainly index, but middle and thumb as well) on anything, I get a sharp pain in the lower part of the thick fleshy bit below your thumb on my palm. Very annoying for anything from crack climbing to opening car doors!

The pain feels like a tendon or nerve pulsing. Sorry I cant be more specific!

Any information on what this could be - and how to sort it out would be greatly appreciated,

Dave
OP Dino Dave 17 Apr 2013
In reply to DavidRex: By the way, this does hurt! It's not a nice pulse, it's a bit of a stabbing pain and feels very tingly.
OP Dino Dave 19 Apr 2013
In reply to DavidRex: bump!

Anybody had/heard of this before?
dg123 20 Apr 2013
In reply to DavidRex:

If it's very low in the fleshy bit of your palm it could be this http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1312, if so then the pain will go away in a month or two, you can read the article for more information.
OP Dino Dave 20 Apr 2013
In reply to DavidRex: thanks for the suggestion, it's definately a possibility. I think I'm going to get it checked out soon. I'll definately ask about the possibility if it being dupuytrens contracture. Thanks again!

sarahlizzy 20 Apr 2013
In reply to DavidRex:

I've just had radiotherapy for stage N dupuytrens contracture. Talked to a lot of others I. The waiting room. IME, and from what they said, it doesn't hurt. It itches, like made, but it doesn't hurt,

First noticed it in my knuckles and then the palmar fascia started to thicken over the little finger and ring finger. It develops next as a small squishy lump which doctors tend to mistake for a ganglion cyst, but it starts to grow a "tail" along the tendon as a cord forms.

The one thing I've not experienced it doing is hurting. It can be uncomfortable and itchy, but mine never hurt. Well, not until I had it nuked with X-rays.
 sarahlizzy 20 Apr 2013
In reply to sarahlizzy:

Argh! Sorry, lots of autocorrect typos in there. It itches like *mad*.
OP Dino Dave 21 Apr 2013
In reply to DavidRex: Hmm, mine palm doesn't seem to itch though. It's more a sharp stabbing pain. I think I might have just stretched the tendons or something. I'll give it some more time and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies anyway!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...