/ Caucasus in July, Bezingi area, what will the weather be like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr. K - on 17 Apr 2013
I'm off to the Bezingi area of the Caucasus in July on an Alpine Club trip. Has anyone been to the area and could give me an idea on what the weather and conditions are likely to be, say in comparison to the European Alps? There's not much info available online so I'm not sure what to take clothing and bivi gear wise - I've worked out that 5000m summits are going to be colder than 4000m summits, but is that an extra layer or a full-spec down jacket for example? =o)
Robert Durran - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Mr. K:

I've been there that time of year (on the '96 AC meet - write up in '97 AC journal). I would say that weather, temperatures and conditions were pretty similar to the Alps in July. However, the thunderstorms were incredibly ferocious and came in sometimes frighteningly fast from the Georgian side. I would take similar kit and bivi gear as I would to the Alps. The scale is somewhat bigger than the Alps in general (perhaps with the exception of Mont Blanc), but not quite Himalayan. It's a fantastic area.
pass and peak - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Mr. K:
I second Roberts comments, was in that area in 2011. End of July is better than early July for the thunder storms, though sometimes they can set in for a few days. In the past its generally been stable high pressures in mid summer but these last few years have become more unpredictable, still I would say its better weather wise than the Alps. mid spec Down jackets a good idea for summit day and once the sun goes down, but generally summit temperatures are about the same as Alps, valleys a little warmer. One thing I would say is take a good Helmet and don't be ashamed about wearing it, the Caucasus are newer than the Alps and can rain stones on you after the sun gets to work.
Enjoy Bezingi area, its a great place and I wish i was back there this year.
Big Lee - on 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

Similar. When I was on the Georgian side in 2004 rain storms led to landslides that washed the road down the valley along with a section of village. I had to walk from about 10km outside Ushguli back to Mestia as the road was impassable with 4x4s.

I visited the Shkhelda Glacier on the Russian side in 2008 and think I took similar layers that I would take to the Alps in summer. Bezengi looks great btw. I'm sure it will be a great trip.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Mr. K - on 25 Apr 2013
Thanks for the advice everyone! My map of the area arrived today, there's more detail on a map of Middle Earth! =oD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.