UKC

Borrowdale Bird Restrictions 2013 - UPDATE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Please note that as of 17/4/2013 the bird restrictions for Upper and Lower Falcon Crags have been updated as follows:

Upper Falcon Crag (NY 272 206) Update 17/4/2013 Not restricted

The birds have not nested on the Upper Crag this year. The restriction is lifted. Please approach and leave the crag from the North via the lower part of Cat Gill due to a restriction in place on the lower Crag. The signs will be amended in the next few days.

Lower Falcon Crag (NY 271 205) Update 17/4/2013 Peregrine Restricted 17th April – 30th June

Peregrines have nested at the extreme left end of the crag. Ravens have not nested this year. Restrictions apply to Spinup, Alternator and routes left of Spinup. All other routes on the crag are not affected. Please do not use the usual descent at the North end of the crag. Instead, abseil off from the top of the crag.

The signs will be amended in the next few days.

A further change is at Goat Crag and is in the nature of an ‘early warning’.

Goat Crag (NY 245 165) Update 17/4/2013 Peregrine Currently not restricted

Birds are active around the crag at present. If nesting takes place, it is likely that a restriction will be applied. If this occurs, every effort will be made to minimise the extent of the restriction.

As always full details of all restrictions can be seen on the BMC Regional Access Database at https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/Search.aspx?s=-1&t=&r=26
and on the FRCC website http://www.frcc.co.uk/conservation_birdrestrictions.asp

Franco Cookson 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:
>
>
> Goat Crag (NY 245 165) Update 17/4/2013 Peregrine Currently not restricted
>
>

They never are. Up there, flapping around, lording it up, whilst we're all stuck to the car park like mugs.

Thanks for the update though.
Bump
In reply to Trevor Langhorne: Bump
 UKC Forums 21 Apr 2013
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

BMC Areas - This forum is for discussion of local topics of interest, and in no way represents official views of the BMC unless specifically stated. It is not intended for general questions about the BMC, since staff and volunteers may not have the time to respond. Brought to you in conjunction with the British Mountaineering Council.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 JDal 21 Apr 2013
Well I for one think that it was in the right forum - on topic and aimed at precisely the right audience.
In reply to UKC Forums:

Thanks for moving the post to an area where it is less likely to be read.

I posted it in Rocktalk as I believe it will get the widest possible exposure there. The message is not one from BMC, it comes from LDNP. I am only the messenger trying to reach the widest possible auduience to ensure that climbers get the maximum possible access to the rock while not ending up annoying the conservation bodies who have the weight of the law behind them and could easily and legally impose blanket bans (see Ravensdale on the BMC RAD). Climbers have built an excellent relationship with the LDNP in relation to balancing the needs of conservation and recreation.

I would have thought that as a responsible publisher of electronic information for the benefit of climbers UKC would have been keen to ensure the maximum exposure for any conservation matter that could impact on access to climbing.
 Rog Wilko 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Trevor Langhorne: Absolutely right Trevor - agree with every word. Hope UKC moderators take note and reverse this asinine decision.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...