UKC

jumaring - help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simonj 18 Apr 2013
Hi, just learning how to jumar with 2 ascenders, 2 aid ladders and daisy chains. Having problems moving the bottom ascender up the rope, as the ascender won't slide up the rope unless the rope is weighted below or anchored at the ground. Am I missing a trick? Si
 Mark Collins 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj: Yes, I think so. Try slightly opening the ascender clamp with your thumb.
In reply to Simonj: Easiest way I've found is using the frog technique with both feet in the foot loop and place the rope running between the front of your feet. Takes some getting used to but works well when you've got it.
In reply to airbournegrapefruit: my bad, read that as using a chest jammer opps.
 Andy Nisbet 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj:
> Hi, just learning how to jumar with 2 ascenders, 2 aid ladders and daisy chains. Having problems moving the bottom ascender up the rope, as the ascender won't slide up the rope unless the rope is weighted below or anchored at the ground. Am I missing a trick? Si

You're not missing anything - that is what happens near the ground. And your suggestions are right. Good technique and good equipment helps but it still happens.

antwan 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj: Get a chest ascender, Inglesport have some on sale for £25! should be loads easier.

Or if you need to have two hand ascenders try tying something to the bottom of the rope?
OP Simonj 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj: thanks for help and suggestions. Will give them a go. Cheers si
 Aigen 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: The trick as Mark said is to open the ascender with the thumb.
 dutybooty 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj: Second vote for slightly opening. Takes a bit of practice.
 jon 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj:

Yes, the thumb trick is the key. Also, Andy is right in saying that it's more difficult at the bottom of the rope with no weight on it. However, a lot also depends on the rope you're using - a newish static is much easier than a dynamic rope.
ice.solo 18 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj:

something that can work is to clip a krab thru the safety hole at the top of the ascender and add a sling, then yank from that rather than the handle.
means the device is ideally aligned on the rope (make sure you clip across the rope into the ascender) and its pulled from above rather than pushed from below.
sometimes the lower ascender sticks because youre bending down a bit to pull it upwards and pulling a bit to the side too, putting a bit of slack in the rope.
 jkarran 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj:

It'll self feed quite easily once there's a few meters of rope below you. If you're training near the floor you can leave a coil of ~10m hanging at the bottom to help tension the rope a little.

jk
 IPPurewater 19 Apr 2013
In reply to Simonj: If you have a foot loop you can get both feet into, pinch the rope between your feet as you move up. This should make it easier to move the bottom ascender up, when low down on the rope.

Ian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...