UKC

sleeping in the woods at font

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tim123487 22 Apr 2013
whats the deal? I've heard all sorts of things from if your bivvying it will be okay to if you get caught you will be arrested!
thought i'd check...
info appreciated,
Tim
 alooker 22 Apr 2013
In reply to tim123487: I sleep by the car, roll out sleeping bag late and wake up early. Never had any problems...
Bob kate bob 22 Apr 2013
In reply to tim123487: There have been a lot of problems recently. carparks turning into tent cities and people generally leaving their stuff strewn around (including hanging in the trees) after camping whilst going out climbing. This both hogs the carparking during the day which is not showing much respect for other people, and quite a lot of the time there was rubbish around these areas.

You could be good though and not camp in the forest but instead use one of the FREE bivy spots.

There is one north of Milly, one at the Hypodrome and one at the northern end of Bourron-Marlotte.

Whatever you do PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you take your rubbish away with you.
 joshen 22 Apr 2013
In reply to tim123487: I've stayed at 2 of the free bivvy sites and they're good and convenient. the one at l'hipperdrome de la sol, just north of font is my favourite, but no facilities at all, i think the other i stayed at was the one at bourone marlotte, which had a hole in the ground toilet and water pump (luxury). I've camped in the woods a few times and it's like anywhere, if you find a discreet spot and are low key and tidy you should be fine. if you pitch 3 tents next to the road, throw rubbish everywhere and start a bonfire, you may have problems. Sorry to preach but please take a trowel with you to properly bury the human waste, way to many little bits of toilet paper in the forest.
OP tim123487 22 Apr 2013
In reply to tim123487: cheers guys, all good info. We are responsible people and will be taking a trowel, no worries there could anyone give me the exact location of the free bivvi areas, or info on how to find them pleasE?
tim
 joshen 22 Apr 2013
In reply to tim123487: l'hipperdrome de la sol is a massive horse racing track about a mile or 2 north of fontainebleau (well Avon, but same thing) you'll spot it on Google maps. You just go down the road to the racetrack and you'll see the campground on the left. can't quite remember where the other one is, but seem to remember that free bivvy sites are marked on the French equivalent of o.s. maps, i'd recommend getting one of the maps to compliment a guide book. i got one in waterstones in Leeds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...