/ Do I *need* 60m ropes in California?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TRip - on 22 Apr 2013
Hello,

I'm heading to California this autumn for a ten week trip cragging and big walling.

For big walling we'll have a 60m single rope and a static haul line.

However we are also planning on spending a fair amount of time free climbing at the Needles. Tuolumne Meadows, Incredible Hulk and in the Valley for which I was planning on taking half ropes for.

Should I take 50m ropes or 60m ropes? My partner has 60s and I have 50s.

50s have the advantage of being lighter and we've got a fair whack of stuff to take round with us, whilst 60s are longer.

Are abseil descents in the US generally rigged for 50m or 60m?

Any thoughts from people who have been there?

Cheers,

Tom
Dave Kerr - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to TRip:

Go for the 60s. We did and were glad we did. You'll get by with 50s but 60 is better.
jon on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to TRip:

Take 60s Tom.
Simon_hosking on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to TRip:

Just back from 3 weeks climbing in Joshua Tree and the Valley in Yosemite, we didn't do anything long in Yosemite but 60s just give you a load of extra versatility when descending.

We also found on some of the shorter crags that the descent / belay bolts had been chopped which meant we had to find an abseil / belay anchor further back (which there always was).

Depending when you are going in the Autumn I would recommend trying to get some time in Joshua Tree if you haven't been and if it is going to be cool enough.

Simon
Jonny2vests - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to TRip:

60s.
ads.ukclimbing.com
SGD - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to TRip: We took 60's as did the rest of our troop. A fair few of the descents are rigged for 60's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.