UKC

Indoor Ice climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Henrycuillin 22 Apr 2013
Does anyone know if the indoor ice climbing at Kinlochleven is any good?
 Milesy 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Henrycuillin:

Does anyone know if apples are good?
 Cameron94 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Henrycuillin: It's good in that you can go in a do things you wouldn't want to lead (it's all top-rope) and for getting on steeper stuff in a safer environment. It's bad in that it costs a small fortune for each visit and that it's inside.

Definitely worth a go even if it's just to try it out. I enjoyed it.
 Nathan Adam 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Henrycuillin: Good for getting some technique on ice, definitely helped me when i ventured outside and onto the real thing.
 dutybooty 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Henrycuillin: I enjoyed my day there.

Tip though, do a nice little warm up, then throw yourself on the comp routes at the back! I wish I had, by the time I'd done every other route in there I was too pumped for the comp routes
 scottie390 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Milesy: I like apples. I also like Bananas, I like to eat apples and bananas

youtube.com/watch?v=dmW3aBqZtKQ&

It is what it is!? I went in February when we couldn't get onto the hills. I enjoyed it and it was certainly better than just looking at your kit! It's not as big as i thought it would be; but they've fitted in around a dozen top roped climbs. As mentioned already it is quite pricey (£30 or £40 for 2 hours i think?), but it was 2 hours solid climbing; I've certainly spent more money heading to Scotland for less climbing! I got to climb grades I couldn't lead outside, and my less experienced mates got to work on some technique in a safe environment.

It's far better than nothing and beats drytooling at my local wall; but it's too pricey to make it a regular activity (3 trips there would pay for transport to Chamonix?).
 Milesy 24 Apr 2013
In reply to scottie390:
> (In reply to Milesy) I like apples. I also like Bananas, I like to eat apples and bananas
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=dmW3aBqZtKQ&

Argh feck off with that tune. Its on my wee girls nursery rhymme album and it drives me nuts along with the rest of them!!
 mmmhumous 26 Apr 2013

As indoor ice-climbing walls go. Yes, very. The taller walls are long enough for a decent play, with variety of snow/ice/slush/concrete to play on.

As other have said, it's great for practicing technique on top-rope (or in my case, lack thereof), but far more expensive than standard indoor climbing.

First minute or so shows you what to expect: youtube.com/watch?v=UfWiMaQhfos&
 Adam15 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Henrycuillin: It's really good and worth going for practising ice techniques and having a go at harder routes that you would never consider outside if you lack experience.
The cost I didn't think was too bad considering there is only about 3 indoor ice walls in the uk and I've been to the Manchester one, it's doesn't compare at all and if anything ice factor works out cheaper
 Alex Slipchuk 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Henrycuillin)
>
> Does anyone know if apples are good?

Since the op is asking for advice as a beginer, I will help. Yes the ice factor is good. Some helpful and experienced instructors available. Nice coffee and no bad bail out when your ex climbing partner takes over 2 hours to get to the scnl bowl and even then decides he's , no well....
 Nick_Scots 30 Apr 2013
Well worth the visit. Nice hooks, chewy snow-ice, variety of routes and a good workout !
JohnMac1 01 May 2013
Worth getting a monthly pass which gives you unlimited access to rockwalls and a weekly session on Icewall.Also a great workout and good for practising technique even if its not to get hit with pick when withrawing axe.

aultguish 01 May 2013
And why not make a day of it if the weather is a wee bit dreich. First, have a wee play on the indoor climbing wall, then get kitted up and toddle off into the ice wall. Pop out 2 hours later and have a coffee and bun in the cafe. Another wee play on the indoor wall, followed by a trudge upstairs where you can get steamin' drunk in the bar, then fall back down stairs and empty your credit card in the kit shop!
Gets the big thumbs up from me )
 Martin W 01 May 2013
In reply to waiting for snow:

> As mentioned already it is quite pricey (£30 or £40 for 2 hours i think?)

Don't think I've ever paid that much, more like £20 so long as you've got your own boots/crampons/axes and you're not using the services of one of their (excellent) instructors. Not bad for a dozen top-rope lines* mostly of a height and steepness sufficient to get a fair pump going (if you're rubbish, like me, anyway). It is, after all, pretty much unique in the UK - though they are building another one at the Snow Factor at Braehead: http://tinyurl.com/chypzmx

* The numbers per session are strictly limited so it's worth phoning ahead to bok if you're travelling a long way.
 rallymania 01 May 2013
In reply to aultguish:

on no account should you attempt to free the ski's off the pub wall and use them to striaght line the stairs back down to the shop... they don't like people doing that... (it wasn't me, i can't ski)
 mccarti 02 May 2013
In reply to rallymania:
Night out after last years STS? Theres a video or two kicking about of the first (albeit prevented) ski descent. Must track them down
In reply to Henrycuillin: It's brilliant, a mate of mine's an instructor up there, I went up last month. And, it's only 30-35 min drive from Fort Bill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...