UKC

cycle shorts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 23 Apr 2013
Lomng term mountain biker now dabbling in road biking, struggling to figure out what to wear on my legs - have baggy mtb shorts, and of course some stylish ron hill trousers, but what do roadies wear?

Cost, as ever is an issue - I'm not one for paying £100 for a pair of shorts!
In reply to Pids:

Bib shorts, around £40 - £50 per pair. Yes, they're lycra and yes, they make your belly look even bigger. Add a pair of leg warmers (not the Jane Fonda kind) and you are good for spring, summer and autumn.

ALC
 ebygomm 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:

Aldi has bike stuff coming on the 2nd may
 sleavesley 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids: have a look at wiggle dhb bib shorts. Very good for the price.
 FrankBooth 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:
For the past two years I've been using Aldi shorts - for £8 they're not different as far as I can see to what mainstream brands offer up to around the £25 mark (coolmax chamois, grips on legs, etc). This year I've been upping the distance of my rides to around 60 miles and they've been okay to be honest.

Nonetheless, in preparation for a 100 mile sportive I did last Saturday, I treated myself to a £45 pair of Endura shorts which have some sort of gel cushioning and in comparison they do seem to be a bit kinder to the nether region.
 Blinder 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids: Also do not forget the 'but butter' or 'crack cream'. Do not scrimp to much on shorts.
andymac 23 Apr 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

I find I dont need the Gel shorts anymore

My bum has ,it seems,seen enough action ,and can withstand a good seeing too.

Gel shorts are good ,but they do make one look like one has shat himself.
 TobyA 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids: If you've got a Decathlon near you they are worth a look. You get lots for your money there is my experience.
 Brass Nipples 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:

Just wear you aggressively, nothing wrong with that, you're not racing or anything.
In reply to Pids: planet x often has good deals on various brands of bib shorts
 Alun 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:
As a a fellow long term mountain biker who has turned to the dark side (though I have not renounced my fat tyres), I cannot emphasise enough the importance of a decent pair of bib shorts. I went through the classic escalator:

1) Buy cheap (15 pounds) panel shorts (non-bib).

2) Realise these are rubbish for any ride longer than an hour. Buy slightly-less-cheap shorts, similar but with better padding (30 pounds)

3) Padding is much better, but the waist-line cuts into my belly after a couple of hours (note, I am not that fat). Buy basic bib-shorts (50 pounds).

4) Turns out that basic (i.e. cheap) bib-shorts still have a seam around the belly area. After 3-4 hours in the saddle, the slight tension in this seam really starts to press down on the belly! Buy good quality bib-shorts (80 pounds) with lowered 'ergonomic' seam.

5) Realise that shorts are only good for warm weather, buy equivalent quality tights and 3/4 lengths. Ask bank manager for loan etc.

In summary: you get what you pay for; but I would strongly recommend you get a bib-short at least. And make sure they fit!
OP Pids 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Alun:
>>
> 5) Realise that shorts are only good for warm weather, buy equivalent quality tights and 3/4 lengths. Ask bank manager for loan etc.
>
> In summary: you get what you pay for; but I would strongly recommend you get a bib-short at least. And make sure they fit!

Ok, but what about a pair of inners off mtb shorts underneath a pair of ron hills - its what i have been wearing through the last few months anyway, so what is the difference to that and tightsand 3/4s - or am I missing something obvious (apart from style)
 TomBaker 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:
Buy bib shorts not mtb inners. You'll spend a lot longer in the saddle on a road bike.

People are going to keep telling you this till you listen.
In reply to Pids:

Don't need to spend anywhere near £100 -- £60 - 70 will get you a very good pair of Giordana's from somewhere like Ribble. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-track-bike/giordana-giordana-bib-shor...

I've had the technical blend silverline for 2 years and still going strong. They're even comfier than a pair of Assos ones I bought about 5 years ago.

For winter I've got a pair ofmid weight bib longs from Aldi - cost about £25 - 30 -- they're great also.
 Alun 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:
> Ok, but what about a pair of inners off mtb shorts underneath a pair of ron hills - its what i have been wearing through the last few months anyway, so what is the difference to that and tightsand 3/4s - or am I missing something obvious (apart from style)

Anything which digs into your waist is going to end up hurting you, probably when you're on nasty hill, 30 miles from home. I learned this the hard way! Even if your Ron Hills are loose around the waist, if you ride for more than a couple of hours, they are going to dig in.
 Hat Dude 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pids:

You really need to go to a shop with a good range & try some on, Cycle clothing sizes vary a lot.

Check out the sale rails, I've never paid more than £50 for decent brand bib shorts like Giordana & Santini.

Last weekend I was with my daughter (5' 7" tall & dress size 10) She was a bit miffed at buying a pair of XXL Nalini shorts; she was very pleased with the £15.00 sale rail price though!
 Reach>Talent 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Blinder:
Also do not forget the 'but butter' or 'crack cream'. Do not scrimp to much on shorts.

I think the technical term is "Arse Lard".

Hat Dude 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Reach>Talent:

>
> I think the technical term is "Arse Lard".

When I'm riding people shout at me to use this; but they always seem to get the words the wrong way round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...