UKC

Tour of Romandie (spoiler)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 24 Apr 2013

Did anyone else see Froome on that Prologue?

The boy went well.
 Chris the Tall 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:
Good preview here

http://inrng.com/2013/04/tour-de-romandie-preview/

Looks like a very picturesque route
Removed User 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Yes. Froome looks up for it. I know the TDF is some ways off but if he wins this then I'll not bet against him on the TDF
Removed User 29 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Removed UserChris the Tall)
>
> Yes. Froome looks up for it. I know the TDF is some ways off but if he wins this then I'll not bet against him on the TDF

So Froome got it. Has this made him favourite for the TDF?
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Apr 2013

Looks like the gloves are out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22340878
 andy 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Darren09: Bit of a snipe at Vicky P and that gymnast bloke...
 Liam Brown 29 Apr 2013

Yes. The team sky send could be monstrous. Froome, Wiggins, Porte, Henao, ... Nibali looks most likely after beating Froome earlier in the year but he'll be coming of the Giro.
 Mike Highbury 29 Apr 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Darren09) Bit of a snipe at Vicky P and that gymnast bloke...

Ah, the newly minted Bradley; so different from the old, of course.

Chris the Tall 29 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Removed User)
> [...]
>
> So Froome got it. Has this made him favourite for the TDF?

Froome is showing the same sort of form as Wiggins did last year, but the big difference is that he'll be up against Contador. He's not been looking great so far this year, didn't do well in Catalunya, but he's the sort of guy you write off at your peril (for both good and bad reasons). The other guy I'd expect to be a real threat at the tour is Rodriguez (assuming he's skipping the Giro this year).

As to Wiggins, he's not in the same form as last year (saddle sores and dodgy gears not helping). Plus although the Giro course may suit him more than the tour, there's not as much TTing as last years tour, so it's still a tough task. Have to say I think Nibali is the favourite there.

Not convinced that it's still possible to challenge for both the Giro and the Tour these days - look at AC in 2011 - so I don't know who Wiggins is trying to kid. Maybe it's an attempt to confuse the others?

andymac 29 Apr 2013

Wiggins is a determined bugger who can dig deeper than most ,but after all last years highs ,just wonder how hungry he really is.

Would be a good question for a journo to ask .not.

similar year to what Evans had last year.

Froomes time has come.and he deserves a Tour win imo.

I haven't checked, but I'd be astonished if the bookmakers don't have Contador as the favourite.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Well, colour me amazed.

http://www.oddschecker.com/cycling/tour-de-france

I'm almost tempted to break the habit of a lifetime and invest.

jcm
 Chris the Tall 29 Apr 2013
They were level pegging last time I looked, but that was before Romandie and Ardennes

Andy Schleck is 25-1. Is that for winning or finishing ?
Removed User 29 Apr 2013

I can't open the link. Who is the favourite?
 DaveHK 29 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Removed User)
>
> I can't open the link. Who is the favourite?

Froome.
 Quiddity 29 Apr 2013

Ladbrokes odds for the Giro - Wiggins 11/10, Nibali 7/4, Hesjedal 10/1.
Tour - Froome 6/5, Contador 15/8, Wiggins 14/1
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Darren09) Bit of a snipe at Vicky P and that gymnast bloke...

Where does he mention those?

jcm
In reply to Quiddity:

Gosh - I'd love to be wrong, but I wouldn't make Wiggins the favourite over Nibali on home turf.

jcm
 andy 29 Apr 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Not by name - but "I haven't gone appearing on game shows like the rest of 'em...". I'd say they're the two highest profile (oh, and Beth Tweddle).
Removed User 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Quiddity:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> Ladbrokes odds for the Giro - Wiggins 11/10, Nibali 7/4, Hesjedal 10/1.
> Tour - Froome 6/5, Contador 15/8, Wiggins 14/1

So, no mention of Mustafa Sayar then?
 Run_Ross_Run 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Darren09:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> Looks like the gloves are out
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22340878

Even more so now

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/22347741

Escher 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Darren09: the BBC are sensationalising it a bit, more balanced article http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/29/bradley-wiggins-giro-italia-tou...
 Rubbishy 30 Apr 2013

I think what wiggins has conveniently forgotten is that he is a highly paid member of the best pro team inthe world and does not need to worry about future planning. I doubt Vicky P and the gymnasts get paid much for their day jobs.

the tour will be interesting. I understand that Froome and Wiggins tolerate each other at best. Maybe we will have a Lemond / Hinault situation though maybe a TJ / Cadel situation might be more apt if Wiggins misfires.

However, there is room for both. With no Cav to shepherd, the entire tema can work for two leaders, that puts the other teams at a disadvantage as they won't know which sky rider to target.

If wiggins spanks it at the Giro then it has to be right hat he goes to the Tour as leader or co-leader or at least equally protected.
 Escher 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby: Agreed. What some people are interpreting as a problem for Sky is actually a bonus. Should one of them crash/puncture/get ill/have a bad day then they have a backup. Nice problem to have, having last years winner and second place in your team. Its going to be a very interesting race whatever.
 andy 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby: I've only ever read Wiggo say "I'll do what I'm told" - he has said he was a bit pissed at Froome for attacking him last year (briefly), but he's said if Froome's the leader he'll support him. You wouldn't want to use your other potential winner to do long turns on the front all day - you let him do what Froome did last year, that way either of them could win it.
 Chris the Tall 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby:
I reckon Froome's girlfriend is worth following on Twitter

@michellecound: Chris & Brad on the same start line, in the same kit? Mmmmmm… doubt it!
 andy 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: She had a splendid Twitter-spat with Cath Wiggo last year.
In reply to andy:

You'd think they'd keep their PR under better control, wouldn't you? This kind of stuff can't be helping anyone.

jcm
 Rubbishy 30 Apr 2013

I think the opposite - it's telling the other teams that they will have to split their resources to cover Froome and Wiggins. With no sprinters they have a couple of rouleurs and some very very handy super mountain domestiques. I doubt that any other team has the depth that Sky has Henao, Uran, Porte, Thomas (if he can stay upright), Pate, Siusou and Knees (or EBV as he has been known to ride tempo and split the bunch).

The PR is handled by Fran Millar, Dave's sister.
 Chris the Tall 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby:
@michellecound: To those claiming that this Wiggins/Froome thing is some sort of publicity stunt, you are wrong.

Seems to me that wiggo tends to speak first and think later, but without any malicious intent.

I suspect Froome feels like something of an outsider in the sky camp and is being unsettled by this. If they can keep a lid on things, and for the pair of them to work together, then I agree, it should work in their favour and make it easier to cover attacks.

But what happens if wiggo has a mechanical and needs Richie porte's bike ?
 Mr Powly 30 Apr 2013

If Wiggins borrowed Richie Porte's bike his knees would be up by his ears
 ClimberEd 30 Apr 2013
> (In reply to John Rushby)
> @michellecound: To those claiming that this Wiggins/Froome thing is some sort of publicity stunt, you are wrong.
>

She really really needs to put a lid on it. I'm not sure why she thinks she should be commenting publicly on the issue, she's not part of the team or the cycling world except by association.
 Rubbishy 30 Apr 2013

She's a brave girl - I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Cath Wiggins.

FWIW I can see why Wiggins is making the point - if he performs well at the Giro and has the legs, he should defend his yellow jersey - why should he defer to a colleague

I can also see that Froome wants to go for the GC as he clearly has the form to challenge.

I think i err on the side of Wiggins, mainly as he the team was set up around him and if it was the other way around, I would see why Froome would wantto defend his yellow jersey - to roll over and play super domestique to team mate when your in form is humiliating and disrepectful of the sport.
 Mr Powly 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

I think i err on the side of Wiggins, mainly as he the team was set up around him and if it was the other way around, I would see why Froome would wantto defend his yellow jersey - to roll over and play super domestique to team mate when your in form is humiliating and disrepectful of the sport.

I think I agree. Sky were always heading this way with their policy of having ridiculously talented super-domestiques for the grand tours. Same thing is likely to happen with Porte in a couple of years. That said Froome is in great form and absolutely deserves his shot.
Removed User 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

For the life of me, I just can't take to Froome. And I have no idea why.
 Ardo 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: The risk is Froome having a mechanical and needing Wiggo's bike. Interesting to see how that one plays out.

I like Wiggo and whilst he's a good rider, the stars aligned for his TdF win. Shorter TTs and bigger hills put it out of his reach this year. Even Kerrison has said it's about winning TTs and limiting losses in the mountains, so while it'd be great to see him atop the Giro podium, I think the favourite tag is probably the bookies thinking, rather than those in the know.
andymac 30 Apr 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

Dont think Vicky P has to worry too much.

did very well for herself in the last couple of years through her off-saddle ventures.

She could sell snow to an Eskimo.

With regard Mr Wiggins;
Putting a lot of pressure on himself.
Can see his road retirement looming ,and his return to the track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...