UKC

Get fit for ... the alps (yes, another alpine thread)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Barratt 25 Apr 2013
Anyone any experience of a dodgy knee and getting fit for the alps? Heading out for my 2nd alpine trip this summer and want to be fitter than last time. I have problems with my knees (one of them popped out on the mountain last summer, ouch). Is running a bad idea? I hear it's not great for the knees but would it do that much damage over a short period of time while trying to get fit (3 months)?
 hokkyokusei 25 Apr 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

Before my first Alps trip I mainly cycled. because I thought it would be easier on the knees. It definitely made a difference. This year I hope to cycle and run.
 Run_Ross_Run 25 Apr 2013
Try some low impact stuff. Cross trainers/cycles etc.

Cant say I'd like to chance running if you've had knee probs.
OP David Barratt 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Darren09: Thanks guys. Work has a cross trainer in the office so maybe I should join the ladies and use it over lunch or something! I'll avoid running!
 lowersharpnose 25 Apr 2013

Use the cross trainer for aerobic fitness, push hard.

Combine that with some long days out walking with a pack.
 Slarti B 26 Apr 2013
Put on a heavy rucksack and use the step machine in the gym.
 colinakmc 26 Apr 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Cycling works muscles that are more direct use in climbing. It's also very low impact so you can work on endurance too. But someone said on one of these threads a long time ago that the best way to be Alpine fit is to be hill fit - in other words do as many long hill days as you can fit in.
 Banned User 77 26 Apr 2013
In reply to David Barratt: If you've dodgy knees I'd refrain from adding weight.. just asking for trouble. Just cycling and swimming will bring on your CV system.
 AndyC 26 Apr 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to David Barratt) If you've dodgy knees I'd refrain from adding weight..

When I was training for the mountains with a dodgy knee, I used ankle weights on a treadmill (at max. inclination) and/or step machine. Found it was fairly effective and didn't stress the knee. Cross trainer also good but, as mentioned above, you have to crank up the resistance and push hard to get a reasonable workout.

Brass Nipples 26 Apr 2013

Cycle and swim. For swimming use all strokes to work the smaller stabiliser muscles.
OP David Barratt 26 Apr 2013
Thanks everyone. I hate swimming and it's not free... I'll use the cross trainer at work and cycle at weekends. or at least that's what I'll tell my self. the next challenge is to get the motivation and get off my lazy Arse.
birdman 26 Apr 2013

Look at strengthening your knees by standing on one leg to brush teeth in the morning, doing one legged squats. It's all well and good thrashing yourself on low impact cv work but if you r knee pops again your alpine trip is screwed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...