ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Groups under instruction trashing Sandstone

Trangia - on 27 Apr 2013

I posted this under the Stone Farm thtread but feel it needs airing generally.

I was doing a walk that passes Stone Farm one day last year when it was drizzling. The rocks were clearly wet, yet there was a large group under instruction faffing about on the rocks. I politely suggested to the instructor that he shouldn't be climbing on wet sandstone as it can damage the rock, but he continued instructing group, saying that they had paid for a day's climbing.

I've seen similar things going on at Harrisons.

I think the BMC needs to be much tougher on instructors who persist in setting a bad example to their students by taking them climbing on sandstone when conditions are not suitable. OK maybe they have paid but it can't be that difficult to have a clause in their booking conditions warning that in the event of adverse conditions climbing will not take place and either a full refund given or a free climb on another day.

Instructors may argue that this adversley affects their livelyhood, but isn't that one of the downsides of outdoor instructing? If you choose this career, you have to accept this may happen, but it's surely wrong for them to continue when they may be irreversibly trashing a precious resource which ruins it for everyone?

... not showing 8 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums