Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - A little help choosing a new laptop

gingerwolf - on 27 Apr 2013
Hello all

So I've reached that time where I have to make some expensive purchases - one is a new car (actually I'm looking at a small van, but that's by the by!), but that can wait.

The second is a new laptop, which is slightly more urgent, especially as my current laptop is becoming increasingly less mobile!

So I popped into PC World this afternoon, and was kind of overwhelmed with all the different laptops etc, too much choice, almost, and I'm having difficulty sorting the wheat from the chaff, so I thought I'd ask the opinion of the educated and computer savvy UKC massif

First of all, a little on my current laptop usage - I use it mainly for web browsing, word processing, watching films and tv series, downloading, and some video/photo editting. I like to have multiple windows open and I'd like something that will allow this without the slowness of a steam train!

So, some factors:
a large memory (1TB preferable)
CD/DVD drive preferable but not essential (I still occasionally burn CD's to listen to in the car, though I can get round this!)
15" screen (well, no smaller than 13") for media viewing
6GB of RAM preferable (current laptop has 4, and doesn't seem adequate enough)
No numerical pad on keyboard - not needed, just want to keep the keyboard basic (I know this rules out some HP laptops)
Not an Advent laptop - my current one is, and frankly, it's a bit crap!
Less than 2kg in weight (definitely needs to be less than 2.5 - my current beast is 2.9kg and far too heavy!)

And finally, all of this for 500 or less!! (If feasibly possible!)

All recommendations gladly received!
... not showing 13 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums