UKC

Rock broken/fall at Back Forst, Roaches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 28 Apr 2013
Matey fell on a bit of gear on the HVS 5a Japetus Eye on the NW end of Back Forst [Roaches, Staffordshire] yesterday. As he hit the a gear a chunk of rock a few feet wide and a good 40kg or so came off and landed next to him, then rolled over his leg, luckily no real damage. Photos below show where rock came from and the chunk that came off [that is a size 14 foot for scale]. Worth an email to the BMC? Grade probably E1 now perhaps.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/lewismansell/Japetus_zps8878d507.j...

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/lewismansell/rockfall_zps7033b6ab....
 Offwidth 28 Apr 2013
In reply to lewismansell:

I think it was E1 before that for all but giants! Shame another excellent climb had broken...was the pro a cam?
OP rockwing 06 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Yeah. BMC guidebook says HVS.
 HB1 06 May 2013
In reply to lewismansell: I soloed it today, felt my left foot slip a bit on the rough leavings, but soon passed by and up. The grade is as was - no change there (I'm afraid)
 Dave Garnett 07 May 2013
In reply to HB1:
> (In reply to lewismansell) I soloed it today, felt my left foot slip a bit on the rough leavings, but soon passed by and up. The grade is as was - no change there (I'm afraid)

Presumably there's one gear placement fewer, and at quite a useful place. Is there an alternative?
 HB1 07 May 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to HB1)
> [...]
>
> Presumably there's one gear placement fewer, and at quite a useful place. Is there an alternative?

. . . I always come in from the left, across and up the wall, and since I've only ever soloed I haven't looked for gear placements. It did register with me that there was a hold missing, but I reached for the lefthand juggy hold and up. It's on your watch, so you'd best get up there and check it out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...