UKC

Wool Stick fighting on Everest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HarryB 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

I'm assuming they're referring to Ueli Steck and Simone Moro but that just makes it even less believable...
In reply to HarryB:

Yeah that's what I'm assuming too. But it sounds ridiculous.

Lol the headline even says 7000ft... not metres?
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I'm confused as to how the proof-reader thought Wool Stick was a real name? A very well researched article... Still, it would be good to hear some truth from somebody with a clue. I guess that won't be available for some time though.
 Pinch'a'salt 28 Apr 2013

Fire this into a translate tool (unless you read Italian)...

http://www.montagna.tv/cms/?p=47029

Sounds 'interesting' to say the least...
 sleavesley 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Nothing on explorers web!!
 dutybooty 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: I threw that Italian page through a translator.

Doesn't read very well. But essentially they crossed a rope the sherpas were moving gear up after the sherpas asked them not to. The sherpas are claiming they were hit by falling ice, Ueli and co are claiming that the sherpas got jealous they were moving faster and unroped.

After an argument and a bit of a fight at altitude, they went down to a camp, where over 100 sherpas attacked the climbers and a load of westerners intervened. Ueli and co left the normal route and forged a new descent route to go and hide as some serious death threats have been made.

Apparently no sherpa has been injured.
 itsThere 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Pinch'a'salt: I thought this was a bit of a piss take and nothing much went on, untill i stuck that into google translate. I would like to see and english version as bits may have been lost in translation.

Also how did the dailymail get on this so fast.
 Puppythedog 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: I vaguely remember roughly a year ago reading an almost identical story with different climbers. I am not suggesting this is evidence in support of the events as described, more that it's odd to hear such a similar story told again in the same way that we hear slight variations in the Oral tradition of story telling. Makes me wonder how true it is.
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

That sounds pretty crazy. Certainly not the best place to get into a fight! I hope it is resolved quickly. I wonder if the team will continue their efforts for a new route once the situation calms down?
 Puppythedog 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: There are further discussions on the BMF facebook feed. Much the same as here, that there was some disagreement about the three crossing over the ropes that were being fixed/travelled up and down and that this escalated down at the next camp down
 wilkie14c 28 Apr 2013
comment posted, doubt it'll get past the mods though :-D
In reply to puppythedog:

Assume you mean BMC? That's where I picked up the article from initially. I wonder how the Daily Mail got the news so fast?
 Damo 28 Apr 2013

I actually saw this yesterday but didn't understand who was involved.
From the blog of a guy I know:

"Yesterday a famous Italian climber got into a fist fight with Sherpas who were fixing rope to C3. Apparently, he told the Sherpas they were too slow, he went ahead, dislodged some ice blocks and injured a Sherpa on the face. The Italian has been told not to return to Nepal for 5-10 years.
I was planning to go to C1 today but was advised to wait a day till things settle down. It’s unclear when the rope-fixing will resume.

Cheers.
Swee Chiow
http://daretodream.com.sg/prudential-singapore-everest-expedition
 Puppythedog 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Yup BMC

That last link suggests the details of the injuries with Ueli having a 'deep cut to his face".
 Lil_Pete 28 Apr 2013

The thing that rather irks me is that last year Steck wrote, "I did no overtake the Sherpas. This would have been disrespectful from my part. To overtake them, while they were doing their job. And they did their job really well."

It rather reads that this year he wasn't quite so respectful and rather understandably incurred their wrath ...
 Hannes 28 Apr 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
> That last link suggests the details of the injuries with Ueli having a 'deep cut to his face".

Believable if there are a hundred angry sherpas and some of them throwing rocks.

While climbing above the sherpas putting them in the line of fire from debris is silly but what supposedly happen afterwards by the sherpas is completely out of order

The Express reporting the same story about poor Mr Wool Stick

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/395537/Everest-trek-chaos-as-fists-fly-...
 Morgan Woods 29 Apr 2013
In reply to jonathandavey:

indeed:

"A government official at the Everest base camp identified the injured as Italian citizen Simone Moro, who is associated with Fishtail Air, British national Jonathan Griffith and Swiss national Ueli Steck."
 JJL 29 Apr 2013

The funniest bit of that is "at 7000m... not far from the summit of..."
 dutybooty 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Biggest high mountain scandal since Bonatti and the oxygen bottles...
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: UKC News Article: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68020

Although not as Ammusing as the stories involving Mr Wool Stick!! Pretty serious goings on though!
 galpinos 29 Apr 2013

All the reporting seems a bit hit and miss at the mo. It appears Jon Griffith of this parish has minor injuries. Hopefully they really are minor and he's ok.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=15737
 LucaC 29 Apr 2013
 Billhook 29 Apr 2013

Big Mountain
Big egos
Big money
Loads of people
loads of pressure

Perhaps it was inevitable?

Banned User 77 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave Perry: Have you read the link?
 woolsack 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: I wonder what the tourism spend is worth annually to Nepal?
Clauso 29 Apr 2013

Alas, I feel that it was only a matter of time before this sort of thing occurred. Mountaineering is now emulating football and introducing it's own brand of high altitude hooliganism. I see no realistic answer, other than to employ yetis as referees.
 John Ww 29 Apr 2013
In reply to JJL:

Nearly as good as "Swiss mountaineer Ueli Steck is understood to have scaled many of the world's most treacherous peaks".

Finger on the pulse there then, Daily Flail.

JJL 29 Apr 2013
In reply to John Ww:

Fishy peaks then?!
 AndyC 29 Apr 2013
In reply to John Ww:
> (In reply to JJL)
>
>
> Finger on the pulse there then, Daily Flail.

Almost as good as Sky News... "All three claim to have extensive climbing experience"

Bruce Hooker 29 Apr 2013
In reply to AndyC:
> (In reply to John W)
> [...]
>
> Almost as good as Sky News... "All three claim to have extensive climbing experience"

Which is true, isn't it? Not every one is up to date on our minority hobby. Perhaps a little more modesty would be a good idea, in Nepal too

John Ww 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Perhaps a little more basic research by the reporters would be an even better idea.
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

But the answer is only a Google away. You only say claim if the statement is unsubstantiated?

"They claimed to be innocent"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...