UKC

Approach to Ampitheatre Buttress/ Mur y Newl

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 28 Apr 2013
Hi,
want to get on Mur y Newl and mentioned to a pal about MTB`ing in from Ogwen and was wondering how level the track up from Ogwen was, don`t want to bugger myself up doing that, HOWEVER said pal mentioned coming in from the other side, Dolgarog, and seemed to think you could drive up a track a long way then MTB from there, any thoughts.
Cheers sjc
 Denni 28 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Yup, we normally drive round to the end of the road. Gate is normally locked so park there and walk in for about an hour or so. Easy for you to take the bikes along the track but last time we were there, loads of cars were parked up all heading to the buttress area and at least 5 were broken into.
J1234 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni: Thanks are you talking the Dolgarog side?
 Denni 28 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Soz mate, yup. From Tal-y-bont/Dolgarrog then up past Lyn Eigiau.
Parking grid reference is 731663 (according to my log book which has known to be incorrect!)
J1234 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:
Thanks for that, maybe Ogwen is better for the more secure parking.
 Denni 28 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

Probably, we go that way as we then head home. Either way it is a good old walk. Of all the climbing I've done, it is one of my favourite climbs.
Very atmospheric but on a good day quite busy. Big boots all the way :0)
 alan moore 28 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc: Ogwen approach has the advantage of being able to leave your stuff at the top of the descent scramble. Would have guessed that the road would be easier to walk than pedal....it's pretty steep!
J1234 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to sjc)
>
>
> Big boots all the way :0)

Scarpa Vapors, not SL`s for me.
J1234 28 Apr 2013
In reply to alan moore:
> (In reply to sjc) [........] easier to walk than pedal....it's pretty steep!

Was told the start was steep, but wondered if it eased, and maybe even having the bikes for the return, I`m not too proud to push.

Graeme Hammond 28 Apr 2013
In reply to sjc:

if you approach from Ogwen you can leave your stuff at the top as previously mentioned, most of the path up is on a tarmac road to the lake followed by an easy track and a short steep zig-zag section. You can then view the route from above. I abseiled in, one abseil to the terrace, pull your ropes and a 2nd abseil of a big block from there, retrieving the left kit as you climb up.
J1234 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
Cheers, I think thats what we will do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...