UKC

You no longer own your photographs...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Ekins 29 Apr 2013
You no longer own your photographs...http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/err_act_landgrab/
Antigua 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:

>The UK coalition government's new law reverses this human right.
Human Rights and Instagam or Facebook in the same sentence just seems kinda wrong some how. What next a Human Right to soft fluffy loo roll?
 LakesWinter 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins: f*cking theiving bastard tories. I will write to my MP again on this and the department of f*cking up our culture or whatever it is called.
Douglas Griffin 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22337406
"Photographs or other creative works can be used without the owners' explicit permission as long as a "diligent search" has taken place..."

That comes down to interpretation, but surely if the photos are on your website (for example), anyone seeking to use your work without your permission can hardly claim that a "diligent search" has taken place, if your contact details are clearly available?

I guess things would be less clear if your images ended up on another website (e.g. Tumblr), as then they could try to claim that their original ownership wasn't obvious.

Not good news, that's for sure.
 Trevers 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

Presumably stuff on Flickr with Exif data intact will be safe?
 HarmM 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Trevers:

Bloddy should be, theiving bastards.

next time i put something on the internet its going to be covered in watermarks, try calling that an orphan work.
 JanBella 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins: Sad day for human rights.
KevinD 30 Apr 2013
In reply to HarmM:

> next time i put something on the internet its going to be covered in watermarks, try calling that an orphan work.

problem is that doesnt work for the professionals who are the ones it really is going to screw (least i am guessing the conversation with a client would be rather short and not ending in a sale).
Think it will be time to see how good the search software becomes in order to protect stuff.
 Ramblin dave 30 Apr 2013
> (In reply to Alex Ekins)

> I guess things would be less clear if your images ended up on another website (e.g. Tumblr), as then they could try to claim that their original ownership wasn't obvious.

This is rather the issue. And since it's fairly easy to start a tumblr, anything that I want to be "unable to trace" could conveniently end up there.

Having said that, Andrew Orlowski (the Register writer) is frequently full of shit so I'd look for independent verification of anything he says.
Frogger 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:

It's disgusting how business can be allowed to exploit people's individual work in this way.

Does anyone know of any campaigns against this? Online petitions, for example?

OP Alex Ekins 30 Apr 2013

> Having said that, Andrew Orlowski (the Register writer) is frequently full of shit so I'd look for independent verification of anything he says.

How about this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22337406
OP Alex Ekins 30 Apr 2013

>
> Having said that, Andrew Orlowski (the Register writer) is frequently full of shit so I'd look for independent verification of anything he says.

or try this - http://www.newstatesman.com/technology/2013/04/instagram-act-under-fire-tre...
Douglas Griffin 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:

There's an online petition now:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49422
OP Alex Ekins 01 May 2013

Thanks Douglas

Just signed it.

ALC
 Hannes 01 May 2013
In reply to Trevers: Flickr strips exif data but allows you to see it from a separate menu. If someone links it somewhere else and it doesn't show where it was linked from properly there is no exif anymore to prove it is yours.

Water marks will be the future for everything that goes online from now on then. I doubt many would want to steal my photos but I'd rather not take the chance
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 02 May 2013

Just signed it now, thanks.
 The Pylon King 02 May 2013

signed
Douglas Griffin 02 May 2013
 Ramblin dave 02 May 2013
Ah, cool. That seems a bit more balanced.
 Souljah 02 May 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:
Makes me laugh the amount of dodgy over shopped photos I see online that have water-marks on nowdays!

The day I see the wonky camera phone shot of my dinner that I posted on a social media site in a glossy mag or down the underground will be an ammusing day not a day to wonder who's stealing 'my' money.
 IPPurewater 02 May 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins: Signed.
 Henry Iddon 06 May 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:

IPTC Managing Director, Michael Steidl; PLUS CEO, Jeff Sedlik; and David Riecks will discuss the Enterprise & Regulatory Reform law along with a number of other related topics (principally how many Social Media systems are "stripping" metadata from images and creating Orphan Works).

The free webinar is happening on May 8 (next Wednesday), 1 p.m. Eastern/noon Central/10 a.m. Pacific).

To register go to: <http://on.picturepark.com/acton/form/3736/003d:d-0006/0/index.htm>
 wildeybeast 21 May 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins: I've had this response from my MP and would appreciate people's thoughts on it - its a very complex scenario and I think there's been a lot of hysteria about it - I'd like to reply to my MP with considered thoughts. It seems there are good reasons for legislation of this type (the photos of historical importance for example, although I fail to see how historical education is tied up in an "Enterprise" bill..), but my main concern is how this is open to abuse. But the MP makes some points which haven't been mentioned in any scaremongering - the fact payment still has to be made, and can be claimed by the rights holder, and that a notice of 'orphan' status has to be published alongside orphan works where used. Anyway, what do you think to the official line here....?

Dear Daniel

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me about the use of ‘orphan’ works and the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act. I completely agree that photographers – both amateur and professional – must have their work protected. I am sorry we cannot discuss this at a surgery but I appreciate you must be a busy man! I want to explain to you why I believe that the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act does this, and that it will not allow people to use orphan photos for free.

The current system makes it illegal for orphan photographs to be used. This acts as a restriction on both cultural and economic growth. For example, the Imperial War Museum currently holds 2.2 million photos that it cannot use solely because the rights holders are unknown. The Act addresses this problem, while protecting photographers with a number of important safeguards.
Under the proposals in the Act, anybody wishing to use an orphan photo will have to prove to the independent licensing body that they have taken all reasonable steps to locate the photographer. Once approved, they will have to pay a license fee, set at the market rate, to the independent licensing body. This fee will be set aside at the time the orphan work is used, meaning that there is no incentive for potential users to choose orphan works over known works in the hope that the rights holder may never appear.

Anyone using orphan footage will have to include a notice explaining how the rights holder can contact the licensing body. This is crucial because it will mean that photographers can reclaim the revenue from their pictures used through the licensing body. Currently, orphan works are either not used at all or are used illegally – both resulting in no remuneration.
Another important safeguard will ensure that when orphan footage is used, it will be assumed that the author has asserted their moral rights. This approach is used in Canada, where an orphan picture scheme already exists.

I believe that the Act doesn’t remove rights from photographers, and actually puts them in a better position than at present, because they will have a greater chance of being reunited with their work and will obtain remuneration if they come forward where they would not at present.

With best wishes
What Goes Up 21 May 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins: An alternative view: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130430/09022922890/no-uk-did-not-just-ab...

Personally I'm not getting too worked up about it - don't think it's quite the big conspiracy that people are suggesting. I do generally watermark my images anyway as most of my online stuff has commercial value for me (and when they get shared around or viewed online it's extra free advertising) but I'm not planning on starting to slap a big watermark on any holiday pic I share around.
 wildeybeast 21 May 2013
In reply to What Goes Up: Thanks for that link, I am beginning to wonder that lots of the protest articles haven't given the full facts! But I would still appreciate more opinions, particularly in relation to my MPs defence of the act (as copied above)

Thanks
OP Alex Ekins 23 May 2013
In reply to wildeybeast:
Hi dan
Here are a couple of links to the EPUK site, these folks have been deeply involved with this for months and offer a good overall view of all the shenanigans.

First link is a brief summery - http://www.epuk.org/News/1033/erra-you-could-not-make-it-up-short-version

Second link is a mammoth history of the whole saga. Quote - 'This law resembles the Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment, where we are the cat' - http://www.epuk.org/News/1032/erra-you-could-not-make-it-up

Cheers
Alex
 JessicaBell 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Alex Ekins:
Petition signed and passed on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...