/ Icicle mountain guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
d80f0u on 29 Apr 2013
Anyone have any recent experience of Icicle mountain guides? Care to share an (honest) review?

Thanks in advance!
hairy51 - on 30 Apr 2013
In reply to d80f0u:

I did a week long course with Icicle in Chamonix last year and had a fantastic time. Really welcoming, helpful, full of good advice and clearly have a passion for the mountains.

We had a great guide for the week and we enjoyed every minute of it.

We learnt a great deal and are going to head back this year to try some routes on our own & the week with Icicle has given us the confidence to do that.
smuffy on 30 Apr 2013
In reply to d80f0u: Did a week with them 2010 and couldn't knock the actual sub contracted guides that were provided.I've stayed in touch with the guide assigned to me and a partner and would definitley use him again.

That said I wasn't impressed with the rest of the setup......neither were others on the same course. PM me for more details.
A Longleat Boulderer - on 30 Apr 2013
In reply to d80f0u:

Mine isn't recent... 2005. But overall a good time.

Our Mont Blanc ascent was essentially scuppered when a guide decided he couldn't be arsed however. A colleague took over but it did delay us.
Guv - on 01 May 2013
In reply to d80f0u:

Hey,

I used Icicle guides in 2006 and to be honest the reps in the office where more club 18-30. Utter dicks to be honest.

They couldn't really be arsed. The guides on the other hands were fantastic. But then any Chamonix guide would be ok.

I have always though using of ISM in leysin. Good british heritage and been doing it for years.

Ross.Cooper - on 01 May 2013
In reply to d80f0u: I've used them twice in 2009 and 2010 and both times had a great time, the guides are great and the staff are helpful and professional. The people in the office are nice unless you aren't committed to the climbing. If you turn up unfit, lazy and not psched then they may be a bit grouchy. But I've had a great time with the company, 3 weeks of climbing in total!
Caterham - on 02 May 2013
In reply to d80f0u:

I've used them twice.

They've been brilliant with me, I've had the same guide twice (Italian guy named Paulo) and can't fault him.

Setup wise the accommodation is basic but a) your only in it to sleep and its perfectly adequate for that and b) they seem to have undercut a lot of other companies by having cheaper accommodation not cutting costs on the actual guiding which is how it should be!

I will add Kingsley (main man) does have a bit of a take no bull**** approach but that's understandable if you ask me considering the activity.

Final word - I intend to use them again in the near future.....

ads.ukclimbing.com
d80f0u on 02 May 2013
In reply to d80f0u: Thanks everyone for your honest replies. I'm sure they have their positives as well as negatives but I think, on balance, I've decided against booking with them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.