Photography forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Filters - some basic questions

Pete_Robinson on 30 Apr 2013
1. Circular polarisers - Am I right in thinking there's little/no point getting a circular polariser for an ultra wide angle lens (the Tokina 11-16mm) due to the noticeable polariser effect giving dark bands/corners?
But worth it for, say, a 16-85mm to get landscapes at the wider end? And what about a 35mm F1.8 prime lens?
[these will be on a DX crop body btw]

And any recommendations of decent makes that won't break the bank?

2. Filter holder kits - Is it right that with a screw-in circular polariser in place on the lens you then can't attach a filter holder for adding more lenses (Cokin/Lee system). So not worth getting a screw-in one if you intend to add more lenses at some point? Is it likely that you'll be stacking ND filters on top of a circular polariser?

So with a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 wide angle, 16-85mm F3.5-4.5, and a 35mm F1.8 prime lens what starter filter combination would you go for (mainly to get landscapes) in order to give most flexibility without playing around too much with effects you can achieve in post-processing?

Thanks for any advice.
... not showing 23 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums