UKC

Recommend me some walking poles (flicklock only, not twistlock)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
as per title really. I have used the Lekis with the twist lock and found it a PITA so the only stipulation I have is that they are flicklock adjustment like BD ones but I don't know which to get. Ideally they need to be able to take a battering from walking/fell running and need to pack down quite small but not too concerned about weight.

Any suggestions?
 JohnnyW 30 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

The BD aluminium ones if weight isn't an issue. I have used and abused mine for years, and only went over to the carbon ones as I lost one on a walk, and needed to replace a pair.

Bulletproof imo, (but NEVER fiddle with the screw in the flicklock without replacing it with threadlock, else they fall out!)
 martinph78 30 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I'd recommend the BD Trail poles. Mine are doing well, sturdy and reliable and not too heavy.
altirando 30 Apr 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: Obviously Black Diamond, preferably carbon fibre, not cheap though
ice.solo 30 Apr 2013

Agree. Totally re the twistlock. Squeeze locks even worse.

BDs z-poles are the go i think now. Fold really small, no locks at all.
I use the green alu ones as they take snow baskets, but the carbon ones are much lighter.
In reply to altirando: I'd be frightened of breaking the carbon ones
 Guy Hurst 30 Apr 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Or the Trail Compact poles, which are a bit shorter when packed down.
In reply to Guy Hurst: I do quite like the Z-poles. used my mates on a run last week but my eyes watered when he told me how much they cost!
 Pritchard 30 Apr 2013

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-gb/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/ult...

Super small and 4 season.

I have the normal distance FL myself. When I was looking I basically opened a separate Internet page with each pole in on the BD website (inc the ski poles) and closed them off on basis of what I was after until I was left with the one I bought.

Happy shopping

Craig.
 jezb1 30 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Z poles are the answer....
 martinph78 01 May 2013
In reply to Guy Hurst: Don't think that they were available when I bought mine. I'd recommend the compact ones then

Mine sit on the outside of my pack and I don't mind the length of them because of that.
deleted user 01 May 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Mine and stueys Black diamond ultra distance z lites are really good, but I winter tested them and they broke. but thats due to me being clumsy. They did fix them pretty quickly though.. They are really simple to use as you probably know...Not stick out like an aerial either when you want to stow them away..

Almost Sane was showing off his new carbon fibre flick-lock poles in Roybridge a few weeks ago.

Karrimor from SportsDirect, £30 a pair:

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-carbon-walking-poles-784103
 Jenny C 01 May 2013
In reply to Guy Hurst:
> (In reply to Martin1978) Or the Trail Compact poles, which are a bit shorter when packed down.

But also shorter when fully extended.
 Guy Hurst 01 May 2013
In reply to Jenny C: "But also shorter when fully extended."
Yes, but I've never found the need to use the poles extended to any longer than 120cm, which still leaves 5cm to spare with the Trail Compacts. Might be in an issue for anybody 6ft 4in tall, but probably not for most folk.
 Cameron94 01 May 2013
In reply to Guy Hurst: I'm 5,7" and use my poles at 125cm.

I use black diamond trails btw and reckon they're pretty awesome but z poles will pack a lot smaller.
 BnB 01 May 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Another vote for the BD Trail here. Well balanced, easy to deploy and with a huge range of grip (ie big handle) for choking on steep ground. The range of grip comes in very handy in deep snow for plunging where one plunge penetrates an inch, the next a foot.

The Z-locks with one flicklock are neat, adjustable and won't snag on rocks etc if carried inside the pack. I like the look of them. On the other hand they weigh quite a bit more and take up space in the pack, potentially snagging items inside. You might even get some mud on your new cagoule... sorry, hardshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...