UKC

Conville Alpine Course 9-11 June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I just got my confirmation! Woohoo. Anyone else for these dates?
 alexm198 01 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

Me! Just received the confirmation email a second ago - can't wait!
Dean hepworth 01 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:hmmm I thought the date was the 5 to find out, no email . Very jealous of you guys!
In reply to Dean hepworth:

Might as well fire them an email. Apparently in the past they've not always been very good at letting people know.
 Nathan Adam 02 May 2013
In reply to Dean hepworth: I got a phone call last year for the alpine prep, but who know's they might be taking there time about it and still processing apps and just sending out new emails each day. I live in hope...!
 spenser 02 May 2013
In reply to Nath93:
I called them yesterday and they said that because they'd had to extend the application deadline they were going to be sending out e-mails over the next couple of days so I should hopefully know by the 7th. Fortunately I've got a trip to Pembroke to keep my mind off the waiting!
 alexm198 02 May 2013
In reply to spenser:

Yeah, on the actual page on the PYB website it says all successful applicants will know by 8th May. When the whole application fiasco blew up I emailed them to make sure they had my app and they told me that they did and that I'd know the verdict by 1st May?! Very strange.
 Wendy Watthews 02 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: just got my email I'm in for the 9-11 too

Are yous planning on camping at the campsite? I'm a little panicked now because I have to revise for exams, pack to move house, and plan a trip to France all at the same time...
 alexm198 02 May 2013

Haha going through exactly the same stress. Plus scrounge money for getting to Cham and paying for a night in the hut etc.

I currently plan on staying in the campsite, it'll probably be the best compromise between affordability and convenience..

Are people planning on sticking around after the course to do a bit of individual climbing?
In reply to alexm198:

Deffo staying after for a few days! It would be a waste not to I reckon.

Staying at the campsite does seem like the simplest option, though I'm sure there are better choices if we knew what we were doing. But then we wouldn't be on the course I suppose. =]

I'm probably going to try to arrive a few days early and get some rock climbing in or something beforehand too. Can't waste the cost of flights.
Dean hepworth 02 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: nevermind , never got picked but I am on the reserve list .
Gutted but I'm surprised as I don't have much experience to be fair .
Have fun guys
 alexm198 03 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder, Dean hepworth:

Yeah, when you factor in the flights and airport transfers etc, might as well make a trip of it! Arriving early sounds like a shout actually.

Anyone know what the deal is with guidebooks? Wanna get something so I know what there is to do afterwards.
 funalps 03 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: If you are lucky enough to have a full week free before the course, check out www.chamonixfestival.com. This will be the first year of the festival and apparently the organizers and sponsors are pulling out all the stops to make sure it becomes an annual event. Should make for a great experience.
 funalps 03 May 2013
In reply to alexm198: Try www.funalps.com. I have placed "hard copies" at the Office d'Haute Montagne, in Chamonix which are available for making photocopies. (I am still working on "Happy Alpine" but should be finished in a couple of weeks.)
In reply to cagm:

Did you mean http://www.chamonixmountainfestival.com/?

It looks fun, but I don't think my wallet can handle that party...
 funalps 03 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Oops sorry, that's what I meant. It should be really good because it is the first year and the organizers/participating companies are very keen to make it an annual event, i.e. generous. For example, I've heard the BMC have a competition for 2 free places.
 Brian Pollock 08 May 2013

I'm booked in for 9-11 June. Hoping to stay on to around the 15th and do some routes if anyone is interested?

Would be keen to do some sport/trad climbing around Chamonix as well.

I haven't really started planning anything yet but hopefully staying in the recommended campsite.

Anyone who's going on those dates feel free to send me an email.
 walts4 08 May 2013

Will be travelling to Chamonix on the 2/3 June & have space in a estate car. Leaving from the Peak & travelling south.
Anybody wanting a lift & willing to contribute towards diesel, tolls send me a mail & sort it from there.
rich739 09 May 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Hey all, I'm also on the course. Unfortunately I'm a newcomer to the alpine aspect and haven't climbed in a few years.

Was out in Chamonix for the winter season Skiing last year and got a few recommendations that this was the perfect way to get into it.
 Brian Pollock 12 May 2013

I'm planning on bringing a set of nuts, cams and quickdraws for some climbing after the course. I have a 70m rope which I'd rather not drag along with me and too skint to get another shorter one.

Is anyone bringing out a rope or do you know if you can hire them out there?
 Brian Pollock 29 May 2013

Is anyone getting the BMC reciprocal rights card? Not sure if it'll be worth it as I'm only out for 8 days.
rich739 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Bob_the_Builder: Also not sure whether to get the RRC and what insurance to get at the moment either. All the french insurers are dirt cheap but I don't know if they'll be open.

Also I was going to stay with a mate in central Chamonix, but if anyone had a large tent and wanted to split costs I'd be happy to contribute. Just send me a text on 07429665016
 ClauSchulz 22 Jun 2013
Hi guys, hope you had a nice time after the course.
As I said, I'm not on UKC very often, but you can find me on facebook in order to stay in contact

https://www.facebook.com/claudia.schulz.92317

Claudia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...