UKC

What level of running before it impacts climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philhilo 01 May 2013
I have been doing some running supporting my partner and we both climb. Climbing is number one (trying to do 7a and a bunch of E4s this year)but would like to know at what level running will start to impact? Currently very happy doing 10k on spec with lots to spare, sometimes 15k,but only twice a week.
 Banned User 77 01 May 2013
In reply to philhilo: Go to a fell race.. in the lakes especially you see loads of climbers comfortably in the mid E's who are also runners.. In North Wales there was a thread recently on one of the new talents who is also a runner..

Camm 01 May 2013
In reply to philhilo:
Do you mean running having a positive or a negative impact on climbing? :S
 martinph78 01 May 2013
In reply to philhilo:
> but would like to know at what level running will start to impact?

The level at which you are running INSTEAD of climbing.

papashango 01 May 2013
In reply to philhilo:

I found running 5/6 quality sessions a week over winter made me pretty tired for all my (indoor) climbing sessions, but when I had an outdoor trip planned I just took a day or two off beforehand and felt fine.

Not sure it will affect your climbing in a negative way apart from obviously the tiredness it will bring (that depends how hard you take your sessions?)
In reply to philhilo:
The biggest way running will impact on your climbing is when you start doing more running than actual climbing!

I started running to get fitter for climbing then entered a race, then another race, then I had to train for the next race before I knew it I was running far more than I was climbing.

I pretty much run 4 days a week and climb once every fortnight if I'm lucky!

I know this isn't exactly that answer you were looking for but heed it as a warning- Running can become addictive!

Dave D.
OP philhilo 02 May 2013
In reply to Dave Douglas: Awesome Walls: Thanks all. Basically if you feel tired - too much. Very aware of not running instead of climbing - no chance!It should however help winter climbing - quicker into crags = more climbing = more improvement....I hope.
 steveriley 02 May 2013
A bit like Dave, I started running because it was the quickest way of getting tired and then got hooked on the unpleasant business of fell racing, etc. I quite like the longer stuff now and it's no longer the quickest way of getting tired. Now I think about climbing way more than I actually do it. Mind you a bit of running didn't do Big Ron any harm.
 quirky 02 May 2013
In reply to philhilo: Running seemed to help my climbing (very much a bumbly) but as others have said i now run far more than i climb! I got into fell running and races and climbed less and less, i think the attraction for me is that you can say "going for a run tomorrow morning" and you can go what ever the weather...no problems with not being in condition or wet rock...just put on your fell shoes and go!
 chris j 02 May 2013
In reply to philhilo: I training for a half marathon made me tired more quickly when i was climbing, especially a couple of hard redpoint attempts into a day, but on the other hand once I'd done the race and slackened off with the running I was half a stone lighter than normal and my climbing went up about a grade...
 Banned User 77 02 May 2013
In reply to chris j:
> (In reply to philhilo) I training for a half marathon made me tired more quickly when i was climbing, especially a couple of hard redpoint attempts into a day, but on the other hand once I'd done the race and slackened off with the running I was half a stone lighter than normal and my climbing went up about a grade...

I found that.. I used to run say 10-12 miles then go to the wall.. but in reality I'd spend an hour at the wall just lay on the bouldering mats chatting with people.. I was just too tired to do much else..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...