UKC

Aconcagua Adventures

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JhbGerry 02 May 2013
I would appreciate some advice on choosing a guiding company to climb Aconcagua with.

I know everybody has their own choice of favourite, and I am no different, favouring Adventure Dynamics, having had good experiences with them. I thought I would try something different though, and use a local guiding company, as they are not only cheaper (no intention of a debate on the benefits or pitfalls of cheaper), but would allow me to meet climbers from different countries, as opposed to the usual bunch of South Africans.

So, if anybody has had any experience with Aconcagua Adventures, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Gerry
JhbGerry 03 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry:

89 views and not a single comment?

Any recommendations of other local guiding groups?
 Jim Houghton 03 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry: I did it solo and met lots of interesting people en route. Would recommend that!
 Andes 03 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry:
We can arrange stuff for you through our local agents, no need to hire a guide.
John Biggar
 koolkat 03 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry:
agree to the solo just follow the crowds
be confident you can pitch your tent in rough weather and spend £100 on gloves it gets very cold
JhbGerry 05 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry: solo sound like an interesting option. Thank you for the advice. I will have to find one other person to take along, to experience it with

May just contact you for some more details.

Will keep my eyes open for a partner on Elbrus next month.
Antigua 05 May 2013
In reply to Jim Houghton:

What would you put the ball park cost of doing that solo excluding getting there?
 koolkat 05 May 2013
In reply to antigua:
cost of permit
hotel in mendoza 2 nights on way in 2 nights on way out
transport from mendoza to national park
and back
food for yourself on the hill
mule to carry gear in and out
base camp providor so you dont have to take food and tent for base
all this should be available on google
i did it 4 or 5 years ago all in flights from uk for about £1600 from what i remember
 AndyC 05 May 2013
In reply to koolkat:
> (In reply to antigua)
> cost of permit
>
> i did it 4 or 5 years ago all in flights from uk for about £1600 from what i remember

The permit alone is 700 USD now.

andrewm1000 05 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry: I did it last year with SummitClimb. Worked out well. Small mixed group and good price. Great guide , Max Kausch. If you want to go solo then check out Inka.com who are the local operator for many companies and they offer services from basecamp only to full services mules, porter, guide if you want. No experience with Adventure Dynamics sorry. Regards Andrew
JhbGerry 05 May 2013
In reply to andrewm1000:

Thank you very much. That advice is greatly appreciated.

Whilst the concept of doing it all solo is appealing, I think I would prefer to do the trip with a group, primarily as I do not have the time (or language skills) to arrange all the logistics before leaving, and it is always good to meet like-minded people, and endure the struggle together.

I do however appreciate all the advice.

It seems like the going solo route will not be all that much cheaper anyway, as the guiding companies I have looked at, seem to make their profit from getting a discount from Hotels and service providers, which an individual traveler would not get.

sargy 06 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry:

Have you checked out John Biggar?
 sargy 06 May 2013
In reply to sargy:

PS he's written trekking and climbing guides for the whole of the Andes. I'd recommend getting in touch.
jolivague 06 May 2013
In reply to JhbGerry:

Solo is very expensive, if you got in peak season the park permit is now $1200 for a westerner and unless you're planning on lugging all your own food & kit the entire way you are going to end up shelling out for meals at the basecamps.

There's a company in Mendoza called Inka, they were our local company when we went in January and couldn't recommend them enough. We had various difficulties from the road to los penitentes being closed due to landslide, to people getting AMS and having to be carried out on mules, Inka came up with solutions really quickly. Their set up at basecamp is one of the best, food's plentiful and really good (just avoid the soup!!) and they're a really nice bunch to top it off.

Through Inka our park fee was only $800 which is a good saving but offset by paying their fees, we did full-board with them and for me it was worth the money for taking away many headaches, those we saw soloing looked utterly burnt out.

Met a brit who had tagged on to an Inka group with 2 Canadians, a few norwegians and a kiwi so there's a good mix of folk trying it.
JhbGerry 06 May 2013
In reply to sargy:

Thank you very much. I will definitely do that.
JhbGerry 06 May 2013
In reply to jolivague:

Thank you - great advice!
Antigua 06 May 2013
In reply to AndyC:

I don't suppose you can blame a poor country for wanting to make some money but its another thing thats going to be reserved for the wealthy only.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...