UKC

Most enjoyable marathon - autumn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robyn Vacher 02 May 2013
which was your most enjoyable autumn marathons - uk or otherwise? Not because you did well necessarily but in terms of atmosphere, location etc.
 Banned User 77 02 May 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher: Two obvious ones are Loch ness and Snowdonia..

Both may well be full.
 yorkshireman 02 May 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher:

Greensand - http://www.trionium.com/greensand/

I think it was my second ever marathon, back in autumn 2010. I managed sub-4 hours which I was pleased with as there was a lot of vertical and it was all trail.

It was a perfect, dry, crisp, cold October morning with stunning clear views across the North Downs. An absolute pleasure.

Only a couple of hundred runners but the route was mixed up with walkers and they were nothing but encouraging. Quite low key but the surroundings are beautiful, and very handy for London - at the time it was a just a case of hopping on the train out to the start.
In reply to yorkshireman: Dublin Marathon on a monday though.. is still open. End of October.

The classic weekend is Snowdonia.. Abbingdon.. Dublin.. Sat, Sun, Mon marathons..
 Kelcat 02 May 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher: Great Langdale is in September if you're up to it....
 steelbru 02 May 2013
If you like low-key, rural ones, then Moray Marathon in NE Scotland ( start and finish in Elgin ) is a great race - only about 200 runners, quiet roads, drinks every 3 miles, and apart from an early hill at 2-3 miles then dead flat.

There is also a half marathon which starts half way round and scheduled so the winners of both races finish roughly together, so if you're a faster marathon runner there's loads of slower half people to pick off in the last 10 miles which helps.
 steelbru 02 May 2013
Forgot to mention when it is - first weekend of September
Removed User 02 May 2013

I've only ever done one and may never do another but what about the Loch Ness marathon in early October?

Most of the route is along the B road that follows the South shore of the Loch, really beautiful and quiet because they shut the entire road.
In reply to Removed User: http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/enter_now/

I thought it was full.

It's still open.. its a nice route. Starts downhill.. a few short sharp climbs then along the lochside, there's a longish hill towards the end, but its a pretty quick course. They bus you out.

Not a bad price for what you get.
 steelbru 02 May 2013
Loch Ness is "officially" a downhill course, ie The Power of 10 classify it as MarDH ( as opposed to Mar ) and wouldn't show on there as a pb. This may or may not bother you
In reply to steelbru: Its not that quick though as you have some steep climbs.. Boston is similar..

TBH I'd run quicker on a flat course than at LN.. but also the fast down hill start does not help.. you easily sub 6 miles 1-3 and blow the race..
 steelbru 02 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Yep, I'd rather run a flat one as well.

Was just making anyone that was thinking about it aware, as some people may want to see how they rank on PoT, and this wouldn't count.

Wouldn't bother me, I'd still call it a PB if it happened there, but for that time of year in Scotland would rather do Moray, so not likely to ever be a problem.
 r0b 02 May 2013

Chester is good, start of October.
 laurent 02 May 2013
The Clarendon from Salisbury to Winchester is quite nice if you live around there.
Removed User 02 May 2013
In reply to steelbru:

It's true that you drop 700 feet in the first 5 or 6 miles and running West to east you're likely to get a wind behind you.

The only fly in the ointment is a bastard of a hill between 20 and 21 miles after Dorres.
In reply to Removed User: There's also a few really sharp short climbs early on... then that long one at 20.. if it was later you would get a second wind.. but 20 is just when you are dieing..

I really didn't enjoy that race.. Must count as my worst performance. I ran 2:53 then 2:56 a month later in Snowdonia with 2500ft of ascent in it..

Its a nice race I just had a shocker..
In reply to Robyn Vacher: Nottingham is a good one. Usually in September. Weather has always been fine and the atmosphere good.

trollman 02 May 2013
In reply to Robyn Vacher: Beachy head marathon,down on the south coast, a few ups and downs! Late oct,
Trollman
trollman 02 May 2013
In reply to trollman: ps voted in the top ten on runners world site,
 plyometrics 03 May 2013

Berlin.
 Banned User 77 03 May 2013
In reply to plyometrics: full.

Absolutely Snowdonia, have my third one this year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...