UKC

Android question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 02 May 2013
Ok, so I have an android phone that keeps telling me it is running out of space... the thing is I have an 8GB SD card in it that it seems to refuse to use.

Any idea how I can get Apps to install on the sd card, or to at least store their data there?

Thanks

Ed
KevinD 02 May 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

what android version?
 Neil Williams 02 May 2013

Somewhere in the control panel bit is a "Move app to SD card" option.

Neil
OP balmybaldwin 02 May 2013
In reply to dissonance:

Version 2.3.4 for my phone, same problem on my tablet (although it's got loads of space left which is running 4.1

Ok, I think I've found this move to SD card option which works for a few apps, but on 90% of the apps it's greyed out... and not just the standard apps on the phone e.g. BBC iPlayer, contourconnect (camera bluetooth conection) etc
 MG 02 May 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: I have this problem too. See thread from a few days ago.

It doesn't work for apps with any kind of homescreen widget, because it causes the widgets not to display. However there is a hack out there on the Web (involves connecting your phone to a PC to do it, but no need to root it) that can make it work for those as well - but if you do you can't use the widgets, as they won't work.

Neil

There's also a known bug on that version and earlier where the contacts expand to take up loads of space - Google around. The fix is to delete them all off your phone and resync from Google - but be careful so you don't lose them!

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

Do you mean this?http://www.bongizmo.com/blog/moving-all-android-apps-to-sdcard-apps2sd-froy...

In which case I thinkI'll have a go tonight!

Yep, that's it. Did that to my old HTC Desire and it was fine. Just remember that anything with widgets will need to be moved back to the phone memory or the widgets won't work (the rest of the app will, though).

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

Ok cool, don't really use widgets anyway.

Thanks
 Sam_in_Leeds 02 May 2013

Have you tried clearing the cache from the webbrowser?

Used to have that all time on my old HTC Desire.
VwJap 02 May 2013
The sd card is just meant for for storage, movies and songs and maybe some app data or files, as if you load a app on and then remove the card the app is gone and the system files that point to the app are then corrupted, and the system crashes, so the memory on your phone takes the brunt of the app files, so less crashes, hope this helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...