UKC

Advice re: dry bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tinks 02 May 2013
I'm looking for a few dry bags of various sizes: one for my camera and other valuables, one for a down jacket and a large one (maybe about 30 litres) for clothes. I want them to very durable as those I've had in the past have not lasted very long.

Since I want to keep the size down, is it possible to get a fully waterproof compression sack for the down jacket?

I would like to buy these online but am finding it very hard to judge the quality. Does anyone have any advice for what to look for or could anyone recommend any specific makes?
 stewieb 02 May 2013
In reply to tinks: I always find the exped ones to be quite good, for cameras they do a padded version as well. To store a down jacket I just use a normal bag, fold it over once or twice then force the air out and finish closing the bag as find it works as well as a compression sack.
 Carolyn 02 May 2013
In reply to tinks:

I've used the exped ones a lot with no trouble. A quick google (to check the brand) suggested they do one with compression straps on the side, but, tbh, I've never found it difficult to squash a down jacket/sleeping bag into a small one without - I tend to push it in, roll the end once or twice, kneel on it, open the end enough to let more air out, then roll it properly closed.

I also use the flat, clear Ortleib document wallets for wallet/camera/valuables - they work well too.

Not sure if there are any reasonable cheaper alternatives - the only one I'e tried was a cheap Aldi one, which was too thick and inflexible to be much use. And much tricker to get into.
tinks 02 May 2013
Thanks for your advice.

What sort of size do you think the bag for the down jacket should be?
 winhill 02 May 2013
In reply to tinks:

podsacs had some a couple of years ago that had an eVent bottom, so you could roll them up, the air escapes thru the eVent but then waterproof. No idea if they still do them.

Just checked, they do still do them, including compression versions, max 20 litres though. 'Airstream compression sac'
 stewieb 02 May 2013
In reply to tinks: From memory I use a large exped sack for my thick down jacket. You would probably get it into a medium but you would have to get some air out to get it closed before you squash it fully.
In reply to tinks: Exped do good sets of 4 different sized dry bags which will offer you better value for money option than buying 2-3 separate ones.

As others have said, with a bit of effort, the normal ones work fine for duvet jackets and down sleeping bags.
 ayuplass 02 May 2013
In reply to tinks:
I've just received some from alpkit, good value and they do really useful pile lined ones for valuables. Exped do really lightweight ones that I think are great as well, useful if you are carrying severa l and want to be lightweight
 KellyKettle 02 May 2013
In reply to tinks: If it absolutely, positively needs to stay dry, then Watershed... they're expensive and fairly heavy, but for a camera or something of equally high value, I'd always choose them over normal drybags.

gordo 03 May 2013
i have used exped and only had a problem with 1 out of 4. my sleeping bag was soaked luckily it wasn't a down bag and was only out for the night. when i got back i filled the bag with water and it had a pin sized hole which you couldn't even see.i have since swapped the bag at the shop as instructed by exped and tested all bags by filling with water and haven't had a problem since,
 Morgan Woods 03 May 2013
In reply to tinks:

i've found the Ortleib ones much tougher and airtight than the exped one.
 Carolyn 03 May 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

> i've found the Ortleib ones much tougher and airtight than the exped one.

But also much heavier - or did they bring out a lightweight version, too?

As for size on the exped ones, I have a red one that fits down jacket, and royal blue one that fits sleeping bag. And yellow one for emergency stuff - first aid kit, torch, hat & gloves. But they're all about 10 years old, so colours may well have changes....
 Jon Wickham 03 May 2013
In reply to tinks: These are the compressible dry bags: http://www.podsacs.com/accessories_airstreamlite_compsac.html
Very good for sleeping bags and clothing.
 rallymania 03 May 2013
In reply to tinks:
and on a practical note... can i recomend getting ones in different colours?

makes using them / finding your stuff much, much easier!

TobyA 03 May 2013
In reply to tinks: I've been lashing various Alpkits ones to my bikes for bike packing or throwing them in canoes for a few years now and they all still work perfectly. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/06/alpkit-in-operation-kayak-tour... Big selection of weights and sizes available and good prices.
 Jim Walton 03 May 2013
In reply to tinks: I've got an Exped compression sac. It has a silmple, yet secure, plug in the side so that as you are compressing the air has somewhere to escape to. Used it loads in winter and have never had a wet down bag. Think Needlesports sell them.

For a down jacket, I'd think a compression sac is a bit over kill. Just buy a medium sized standard bag and stuff n squeeze.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...