UKC

Is Fergie time over..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 07 May 2013
Never known so many rumours like this..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2320692/David-Moyes-odds-...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10042798/...

I think it likely.. go at the top.. it has to end some day..

I only hope the club remain its class.. so opt for a successor.. give them 3 full seasons.. then judge..

Its all that Fergie had.. He joined 86/87.. !) 87/88 2) 88/89 3) 89/90 FA cup win.. 90/91 brought the ECWC.. then every season we showed solid progression..

In reply to IainRUK:

moyes has waited longer for that job than prince charles has for his next position..!

but yes, i guess this could be the year- after putting the "noisy neighbours" in their place, and reaching 20 titles, he'd be looking for another CL, and that's a pretty uncertain outcome, better to go out at the top,

cheers
gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: I actually think its a good time for him to go.. a nice blend of experience and youth... Giggs, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Rooney, RVP to guide the team.. then De Gea, Evans, Smalling, Jones, Rafael, Buttner, Wellbeck, Anderson, Cleverly, Zaha to form a core of a future team..
In reply to IainRUK:

just a thought though- mourinho also available in the summer- what change the special one's return being to OT rather than stamford bridge

and then a return for CR7...?

cheers

gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: I think its possible.. both.. but I think JM will end up at Chelsea.. seems fairly set..
andymac 07 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

If he steps down ,then he has to step back completely.

Dont see any potential manager being happy with Fergie hanging aboutin the stands

Retiring would probably be the sensible option.

Cant see it happening.
In reply to andymac: Agree.. its like the Evans/Houllier..

I think he'll step upstairs.. there's little chance of a total step away..

It has to happen within 2-3 years.. I do think now is a nice time with the squad we have..
 Tony the Blade 07 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Who would you want as his replacement?

I understand Martin O'Neill and Danny Wilson have thrown their names in!

What about Mick Phelan? I believe he has all the necessary coaching tickets to do the job.
In reply to Tony the Blade: Moyes.. But as said 3 full years.. Pick and stick..

If not Rafa..

But seriously.. Giggs as coach.. Moyes is a gamble who I have opposed in the past but its his time..

Stick British.. hopefully.. but whoever.. 3 seasons.. lets not become a Spurs. Liverpool.. we're too good for that..
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Who would you want as his replacement?
>
> I understand Martin O'Neill and Danny Wilson have thrown their names in!
>
> What about Mick Phelan? I believe he has all the necessary coaching tickets to do the job.

I do think Phelan, like Kidd, Like Mclaren are better coaches.. I think its why SM did better abroad.. where its more coaching than british style 'I rule'..

I don't think United as a club will want another Fergie style manager... too big ego's..
andymac 08 May 2013
In reply to andymac:

Did not realise last night how much pace this story had gathered .

Carrington is going to be a bit of a media scrum this morning.

In reply to andymac: Its now huge news... the last time we had this was beckham leaving.. and that was true..
Removed User 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Just been confirmed by the club. So it is true.
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

He'll be remembered as a serial underperformer in Europe.
 Edradour 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

I think you have a point but his other achievements overshadow this in my opinion.

He got better in Europe too:

1 Cup Winners Cup
1 Supercup
2 CLs
2 CL runner up

Great manager and will be big shoes to fill.
 ianstevens 08 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: SAF and the Queen are the only two public figures to have held down a job since I was born (1990). Seems crazy, but I guess it had to happen one day!
 Graham Mck 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Nice try at winding up the Man Utd contingent, but we all know that is NOT how he will be remembered
Douglas Griffin 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:

> He'll be remembered as a serial underperformer in Europe.

Almost exactly 30 years to the day since he led Aberdeen to their Cup Winners Cup victory...
In reply to Graham Mck: He will be remembered as the biggest whinger of all time
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to Graham Mck:
> (In reply to Postmanpat) Nice try at winding up the Man Utd contingent, but we all know that is NOT how he will be remembered
>
I bet that will be how he remembers it. That's why he was so furious when they went out this year. He believed they had a very real chance and he could go out on a super high. Probably hates failing more than he loves winning.

Steve John B 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: He's got 2 more games - that's 195 minutes of football

Don't have to like him, but his achievements speak for themselves.
 Mike Stretford 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>

It is true, but what he'll be remembered for now is the reason he got to serially 'underperform' in Europe.
In reply to IainRUK:

Mourinho is bookies favourite, apparently.
In reply to Douglas Griffin:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Mourinho is bookies favourite, apparently.

Nope, Moyes is.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Only going by what I've seen on Twitter...
 James90 08 May 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

their both the same odds at 1:1

summed up here :

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-will-take-alex-ferguson-0...
In reply to IainRUK:

Apparently, in honour of Fergie's retirement, all Premiership matches this weeken will feature an additional 5 minutes of extra time.
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Apparently, in honour of Fergie's retirement, all Premiership matches this weeken will feature an additional 5 minutes of extra time.

<like button>
 Andy Hardy 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Curious to know why you think Moyes is a gamble. (a bigger gamble than any of the other candidates that is)
In reply to 999thAndy: won nothing..

Rubbish PMP..

4 European Trophies...

6 finals...

You really are a glass half empty person..

Greatest manager ever.

EeeByGum 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> Never known so many rumours like this..

Really? I thought he was going to full on retire about 10-15 years ago! Can't remember exactly, but the speculation was as intense as now.
 tony 08 May 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> Curious to know why you think Moyes is a gamble. (a bigger gamble than any of the other candidates that is)

There was an article in the Guardian or Observer at the weekend about Moyes, and a senior MUtd official was quoted as saying that they'd want someone with experience of working with big budgets and managing in the Champions League. Both those conditions would appear to rule Moyes out, which I think would be a great shame.
 MattJP 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to 999thAndy) won nothing..
>
> Rubbish PMP..
>
> 4 European Trophies...
>
> 6 finals...
>
> You really are a glass half empty person..
>
> Greatest manager ever.

If I had a Like button....

Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to 999thAndy)
> [...]
>
> There was an article in the Guardian or Observer at the weekend about Moyes, and a senior MUtd official was quoted as saying that they'd want someone with experience of working with big budgets and managing in the Champions League. Both those conditions would appear to rule Moyes out, which I think would be a great shame.
>
Effectively that rules out a British manager doesn't it? There's always 'arry or Terry I suppose

goose299 08 May 2013
Ha i was going to crack something similar
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
>
> Rubbish PMP..
>
> 4 European Trophies...
>
> 6 finals...
>
>
> Greatest manager ever.

Ah, there you are! There's only one Euro cup that matters and winning it is what counts. Two in 27 years? He'll regard it as failure.

In reply to EeeByGum: he announced he was fgoing 12 years ago.. but changed his mind late on.. supposedly after he found out Sven was getting the job..

I think its thr right thing.. right time.. he's handing over a great blende of youth and experience.. He's 71.. if you have to go then go on a winning note and leave the club healthy...

He's done that..

I like Moyes but he has limited experience with budgets and trophies.. Ferguson came from Aberdeen who were incredibly successful..

Mourinho..
Klopp..

I fancy Klopp to be fair..

In reply to EeeByGum: he announced he was fgoing 12 years ago.. but changed his mind late on.. supposedly after he found out Sven was getting the job..

I think its thr right thing.. right time.. he's handing over a great blende of youth and experience.. He's 71.. if you have to go then go on a winning note and leave the club healthy...

He's done that..

I like Moyes but he has limited experience with budgets and trophies.. Ferguson came from Aberdeen who were incredibly successful..

Mourinho..
Klopp..

I fancy Klopp to be fair..

tony 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to tony)
> [...]
> Effectively that rules out a British manager doesn't it? There's always 'arry or Terry I suppose

Harry at Old Trafford - there's a thought ...
 winhill 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Top news story on the BBC at the moment.

"will now become a director and ambassador."
In reply to tony: I hope not...

Klopp.. or Moyes.. go youngish and give them time.. minimum 3 years regardless.
 Andy Hardy 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
>
> Rubbish PMP..
>
> 4 European Trophies...
>
> 6 finals...
>
>
> Greatest manager ever.

Was this ^^^ in response to my question? (Cos if it is I'm properly confused)

Removed User 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

This is how it will pan out.

Mourinho to Man Utd. Moyes to Chelsea. Mancini to Everton. Benitez to Man City.
In reply to 999thAndy: Why not Moyes.. why a gamble.. he's won nothing with no budget experience..
In reply to IainRUK: Not a long term solution but Jupp Heynckes
is available...

Or Big Sam, didn't he say he was better suited to managing a 'big team' and would win the CL or league every year?
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to 999thAndy) Why not Moyes.. why a gamble.. he's won nothing with no budget experience..
>
Moyes strikes me as an MU "type" in the Busby/Ferguson tradition. The latter had no football league experience when he joined MU. Couldn't he use Ferguson to help with the budgeting side etc for a couple of years?

Enty 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires.
Somewhere, there is a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left.

E
In reply to Postmanpat: Ferguson had won loads with Aberdeen.. and a European trophy..
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Postmanpat) Ferguson had won loads with Aberdeen.. and a European trophy..
>
Yup, accept the European trophy but even in those days the Scottish league was a bit mickey mouse compared to the English 1st division. Fergie was a bit of a gamble wasn't he?

In reply to IainRUK:

> Ferguson had won loads with Aberdeen.. and a European trophy..

He did a pretty good job with Saint Mirren before that. I remember seeing film of him going round the schemes in Paisley with a megaphone telling people to get out and support their local team instead of Ranger/Celtic. He's basically been a winner everywhere he's been. Still a revered figure here in Aberdeen.
 ianstevens 08 May 2013
In reply to Removed User: I think it's got to be Moyes hasn't it? Mourinho will just get bored after a few years and leave - it's what he's done everywhere else, and he's far to loved at Chelski to to be taken in by the Old Trafford faithful. Moyes will hang about, and give them a long service - not all that dissimilar to when SAF was originally appointed I believe.
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Yup, accept the European trophy but even in those days the Scottish league was a bit mickey mouse compared to the English 1st division.

Less so than now, I'd say. In the early 1980s players routinely went from the Scottish Premier League straight into the top teams in the English 1st Division. That rarely, if ever, happens now.
In reply to Douglas Griffin: What he did in Aberdeen was incredible.. beating Madrid must rank as one of the greatest achievements in Scottish football behind the 67 team..
In reply to IainRUK:

They beat Bayern Munich on the way to the final too. I remember the final against Real Madrid - it was the night before my last Higher exam, and I should have been revising. There was an air of inevitability about the result that night. Was talking to an Aberdeen fan recently about this, he was in Gothenburg that night and he said that he's never felt more sure about a result in a big game.

PS - talking of Scottish teams' achievements, remember Dundee Utd - until Borussia Dortmund did it they were the last team to beat Barcelona home and away in Europe (on their way to the UEFA Cup Final in 86/87).
 Andy Hardy 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
yes I got that part, it's where you decided that I was a glass half full man that you lost me, TBH.

In reply to ianstevens:
> I think it's got to be Moyes hasn't it?

He's the bookies favourite and, as my father used to warn me, there aren't many poor bookmakers.

But the romantic part of me would love to see Solskjaer given a go, with the support of Giggs and Scholes. It won't happen of course. A few years back the details of the job spec were circulated and it included things such as developing younger players as well as experience of European competition. Recent rumours suggest this has been significantly revised with the first bit somewhat lost and replaced by things like managing a large squad of self-centred highly paid opinionated young millionares. Such is progress, and even management these days is a squad game.

But that's for the future. Well done to Sir Alex; we shan't see his like again for a very long time, if ever.

T.
 The New NickB 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
> Yup, accept the European trophy but even in those days the Scottish league was a bit mickey mouse compared to the English 1st division. Fergie was a bit of a gamble wasn't he?

With Aberdeen, which is like winning the EPL when your club doesn't have Manchester in its name.
Removed User 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
> Yup, accept the European trophy but even in those days the Scottish league was a bit mickey mouse compared to the English 1st division. Fergie was a bit of a gamble wasn't he?

What he did with Aberdeen was absolutely remarkable. He took them from a team no one outside Scotland had heard of to a force to be reckoned with in Europe.
In reply to Removed User: Yeah, and in a very similar way to Man U.. youth and spirit..

Alfredo Di Stefano, "Aberdeen have what money can't buy, a soul; a team built in a family tradition"

Its why its a joke when people say he bought success.. we spent.. no more than any other top team but he had a great way with the top players..

Whats amazing is that he came in back in 86 and evolved with the game.. few could.
In reply to Removed User:

Wee bit of nostalgia reading this:
http://tinyurl.com/bmgtf6s
 Graham Mck 08 May 2013
In reply to 999thAndy:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> yes I got that part, it's where you decided that I was a glass half full man that you lost me, TBH.

Reread the post. He was referring to Postmanpat (PMP) not you!

Agree about his achievements with Aberdeen - incredible. No other side has won the SPL/SFL other than Celtic/Rangers since his Aberdeen side last won it in 1984/5. That's nearly 30 years!
 Andy Hardy 08 May 2013
In reply to Graham Mck:
<bulb>
Thanks I did think PMP was some acronym I'd not heard of. Every day's a school day on here.
</bulb>
In reply to IainRUK:

Sounds like it's Moyes.

>PS - talking of Scottish teams' achievements, remember Dundee Utd - until Borussia Dortmund did it they were the last team to beat Barcelona home and away in Europe (on their way to the UEFA Cup Final in 86/87).

Wasn't it Bayern? Or was this some other occasion?

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Sorry - of course, it was Bayern.
In reply to Douglas Griffin: Surprised. Thought they'd go for a higher profile. But he deserves this chance. Hope the club back him for a good period. A huge task facing him.

Times saying he'll be appointed in next 24 hours.
In reply to IainRUK: So he's going to be director of football though.

Are we not going to have a situation similar to when Putin became PM after he was president. We all knew who was pulling the strings.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: He'll be involved.. Moyes is his own man.. he's always enjoyed a good relationship with Fergie.. but has also stood his ground and they've had a few touchline ding dongs..

But Fergie was the same with Busby.. supposedly that was a factor in him surviving the early days... but before that Busby was feared by other managers.. almost cast aside..

Glyno 08 May 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>

he's won the CL twice in 14 years, can you think of a current manager who's done better?

(only Barcelona have won it more times (3) in the same period)

In reply to Glyno:

I'm no Man U fanboy but I think we can all agree that anyone who criticises SAF for his performance, domestically or elsewhere is just a hater and can be ignored.

As I say, I'm no closet fanboy.
 manumartin 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: jose for me but if it has to be moyes then.....he must bring jelavic, baines and fellaini with him.
In reply to manumartin: Looking fairly set on Moyes.. and Rooney off to Bayern according to reports..

I know others will disagree, but the CL is definitely harder to win now because you always have 2-3 of the best teams from the top 3 or 4 leagues in Europe. before you'd get 1 spainish, 1 german, 1 Italian.. Ok other leagues were stronger then, Belgrade etc, but you could get most of the way to the final and not meet one of todays top seeded teams..

regardless its still 4 major European trophies, with 4 different sets of players..
 manumartin 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: i just ordered a shirt with
R A F A 21
printed on the back.........only joking
cb294 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Rooney off to Bayern? Highly unlikely, and not suggested in any of the German papers (Sueddeutsche is usually quite well informed).

CB
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
> [...]
>
> he's won the CL twice in 14 years, can you think of a current manager who's done better?
>
> (only Barcelona have won it more times (3) in the same period)

Real, AC Milan and Barca have all won it three times during his time at Man U (or the old European cup). No other manager has lasted as long.
 Steve John B 08 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
> [...]
>
> he's won the CL twice in 14 years, can you think of a current manager who's done better?
>
> (only Barcelona have won it more times (3) in the same period)

Mourinho - twice in 10 years.

Plus this extraordinary statistic: Between 23 February 2002 and 2 April 2011, Mourinho went 150 home league matches unbeaten: 38 (W36–D2) with Porto, 60 (W46–D14) with Chelsea, 38 (W29–D9) with Internazionale and 14 (W14–D0) with Real Madrid. His only prior home league defeat had come when Porto lost 3–2 to Beira-Mar on 23 February 2002.
 Steve John B 08 May 2013
In reply to Steve John B: ...and this:

In ten seasons of club management, including an eight-month sabbatical in 2007–08, Mourinho has led his club to win its domestic league seven times, the UEFA Champions League twice and the UEFA Cup once. Since 2002, Mourinho has not gone a full calendar year without winning at least one trophy.
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Telegraph reporting Moyes is a done deal.
 Yanis Nayu 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Fergie's achievements are incredible - how he can have maintained such energy and drive over so many years in such a high-stress environment beggars belief.

I can't really believe it's happening, he's been such a mainstay over so many years, and he's given so many people so many good memories.

I hope he has a long, happy and healthy retirement.
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to Steve John B) ...and this:
>
> In ten seasons of club management, including an eight-month sabbatical in 2007–08, Mourinho has led his club to win its domestic league seven times, the UEFA Champions League twice and the UEFA Cup once. Since 2002, Mourinho has not gone a full calendar year without winning at least one trophy.

But he has moved and been given millions.. Fergie's rebuilt.. transitioned and kept winning..
In reply to IainRUK: A thought: if it is to be Moyes, will he bring Phil Neville with him? As backroom staff rather than player.

T.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Steve John B)
> [...]
>
> But he has moved and been given millions.. Fergie's rebuilt.. transitioned and kept winning..

I agree with this. The consistency throughout has been the real achievement. There have been others who have had a go along the way but Fergie has always been there.

I know Man U arent really short of cash and have splurged from time to time but I would be keen to see how they compare in the spending tables to the other clubs such as MC, Chelski, Blackburn in their day, Arsenal and Leeds when they won the title after investing heavily.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: http://transferleague.co.uk/

It shows how much per season since 1993 and 2003.. so 20 years of the premiership..

In reply to IainRUK: Wow, look at Chelskis 03/04 season's spending.
andymac 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Legend

some great achievements.

amongst them;

knocking that lot "off their f**king perch"

In reply to IainRUK:

That table really makes clear Arsenal's decline in spending over the last ten years: bottom on the league with a net profit of £1.5 million per season on transfers, compared to Chelsea's average spend of £52.5 million.

It's no wonder they're a couple of points ahead of us, really.

jcm
 Graham Mck 08 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: It's also why AW is still in a job!
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: It makes Wenger look superb.. its also surprising how much teams like Villa have spent..
In reply to IainRUK: The spend per season makes is a bit skewed as it assumes everyone has been in the EPL for all 20 seasons eg QPR's average is £3.2 million but they weren't in the EPL for very long.
In reply to Graeme Alderson: True.. but it destroys the fallacy by Benitez that Liverpool can't match United because of spending power..

Also despite the debt, our general model is spot on, 51% of turnover on wages..
Removed User 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Interesting interview of Fergie on politics and football by Alistair Campbell: http://www.alastaircampbell.org/blog/2013/05/08/a-new-statesman-chat-with-a...

In reply to Removed User: Thanks.. good article..
 london_huddy 08 May 2013

Thanks from me, too: well worth a read.
In reply to IainRUK:
> 51% of turnover on wages..

Thankfully my model doesn't have that figure

In reply to Graeme Alderson: I bet your staff aren't...

QPR.. 90% of turnover.. incredible..
 Tony the Blade 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

BBC BREAKING NEWS: David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United. An announcement could be made tomorrow afternoon.
andymac 08 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

another dour ,uncompromising Jock.
In reply to andymac: I am surprised.. thought theyd go for a fancy European.. but do think Bobby and Fergie had a good say..

Main thing is give him a good 3 seasons..
 Tony the Blade 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to andymac) I am surprised.. thought theyd go for a fancy European.. but do think Bobby and Fergie had a good say..
>
> Main thing is give him a good 3 seasons..

I was expecting to hear the name Jürgen Klopp thrown into the hat.
andymac 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Its a big move for Moyes.

Talking to a Toffee today ,and his feeling was ,perhaps selfishly, that Moyes was not ready for The United job.

Just thinking about the Rooney transfer talk.

makes sense now.
In reply to Tony the Blade: I did too...
In reply to andymac: Staying at Everton was a non-goer.. it was time to move on.. perfect for him to make a step. Well done to United for going British.
 Graham Mck 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I think Gary Lineker summed it up for me when he said the manager to be is the one after the one after SAF!
In reply to Graham Mck: Yeah, but I like Moyes' strength.. him and Fergie had a few rows.. he stood his ground and Fergie respected that. I just hope Fergie now steps back and lets Moyes do it.. if we're losing 2-1 Fergie can't come down and rant at half time.. even if it will help..

Its a gamble.. going for Moyes. But he's done as well as could be expected at Everton..

The rooney situation is interesting,.. they had made peace.. but I d think he'll be off soon.. if we can get 20-30 mill I'd sell.. I think he has 2-3 years left.
 Graham Mck 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Not saying Moyes will do a bad job, it's just very difficult when he will always be compared to SAF. It will be interesting to see how he copes with that - I like Moyes and hope he does well.

Will be interesting to see how the Rooney thing pans out, could be Moyes first challenge, and may set the scene for his tenure.
andymac 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

re. Rooney ,and his memoirs

They had made peace ,but the damage was done.

Great player with a lot left to give ,but I would sell.

Glyno 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Not sure why Moyes is so highly regarded, are his credentials any better than say, Tony Pulis's?
In reply to Glyno: Yeah.. much better.. 11 years.. consistently top 8 or so.. Pulis has had one team.. who have done OK league position wise.. but points wise.. they survive.. no more.. great job that he does.. not a candidate at all..
 Postmanpat 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Glyno) Yeah.. much better.. 11 years.. consistently top 8 or so.. Pulis has had one team.. who have done OK league position wise.. but points wise.. they survive.. no more.. great job that he does.. not a candidate at all..

Brave decision but hope it works out. Good for British football. Man U could have had almost any big name they wanted but decided to go with somebody they felt fitted their blueprint. Good for them.
In reply to Postmanpat: I just hope they stand by it.. we're not a liverpool..
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Glyno) Yeah.. much better.. 11 years.. consistently top 8 or so.. Pulis has had one team.. who have done OK league position wise.. but points wise.. they survive.. no more.. great job that he does.. not a candidate at all..

I wasn't suggesting Pulis was a candidate, just that I don't see why Moyes is a more suitable one.
Moyes has achieved nothing more than Pulis has, but for some reason he seems to be the man to succeed Ferguson.
I think Moyes will be appointed because (a) he'll be a lot cheaper than more qualified managers, (b) he'll not speak out against his bosses (the Glazers) , and (c) he's Scottish like his successor.
 Robert Durran 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> (c) he's Scottish like his successor.

Very prescient.

Allan McDonald (Gwydyr MC) 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno: As a blue nose I'm gutted if, as seems likely, we lose Moyes however he is an excellent manager and has improved EFC massively during his tenure.
Our board have consistently struggled to find funds on a regular basis to allow Moyes to build a trophy winning team but he found us some real gems (Lescott, Baines, Cahill, Jagielka et al) and I'm sure he will be his own man at United.
I don't blame him for taking the chance if it arrives and trust that he will have an emotional send off against West Ham on Sunday.
COYB
Douglas Griffin 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Some interesting snippets here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/football/from-humble-beginnings-...

- Poor old St Mirren bear the stigma of being the club that sacked him... when he claimed unfair dismissal by St Mirren he lost the case and the written tribunal findings described him as a good team boss but a bad general manager of day-to-day club affairs and "petty, immature, possessing neither by experience nor talent any managerial ability".

- Aberdeen won more titles under Fergie in 8 years than they have in the other 102 without him.

- In 1989 the Red Issue fanzine asked: "When is Mr Ferguson going to realise that he doesn't know what he is doing and return to that quiet backwater, Aberdeen?"

- At East Stirlingshire he told the players the local Falkirk paper was against them. In Paisley he took to the streets with a loudhailer to implore folk to come and watch his team. At Aberdeen he kept a record of how often Glasgow-based journalists deigned to travel north to see his side. People responded: every club he managed experienced big increases in attendances.
 GrahamD 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Great manager (possibly greatest club manager ever - he hasn't tried to step up to international level, of course) but not without a few unpleasent streaks (conveniently being ignored in the current brown nosed eulogising)- like when he spat his dummy out when someone at the BBC said something he didn't like.
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:
> (In reply to Glyno)
> [...]
>
> Very prescient.

yes, I see him being replaced by Owen Coyle before Xmas.

In reply to GrahamD: Moyes first job should be to try and sign Gareth Bale. If he manages that, then the Rooney situation becomes less relevant
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Top news story on the BBC at the moment.
>
> "will now become a director and ambassador."

Typo?

Should it read dictator?
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Not sure why Moyes is so highly regarded, are his credentials any better than say, Tony Pulis's?

Agree. Never understood the Moyes bandwagon.

Anyway good news all round. Just maybe this will change football in England for the better.
 Yanis Nayu 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
and (c) he's Scottish like his successor.

Bloody hell, can I borrow your crystal ball?
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Glyno)
> [...]
> and (c) he's Scottish like his successor.
>
> Bloody hell, can I borrow your crystal ball?

already addressed my faux pas.

MattJP 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:

Haha! I never knew he was in the running!!
 GrahamD 09 May 2013
In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús:
> (In reply to GrahamD) Moyes first job should be to try and sign Gareth Bale. If he manages that, then the Rooney situation becomes less relevant

Or Ronaldo
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Bjartur í Sumarhús)
> [...]
>
> Or Ronaldo

Not a chance. "Ronaldo would you like to work with David Moyes?"

"Who?"
Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Well that’s it. Just announced by Everton, Moyes to MU.

As a lifelong Evertonian I can’t help but say I’m sad to see him go.

However, it might open up the PL for the next few years while he beds in.
 Skip 09 May 2013

Get in!

Excellent news, like Souness to Liverpool all those years ago, except good news this time.
 Mike Stretford 09 May 2013
> (In reply to Removed UserIainRUK)
>
>
> However, it might open up the PL for the next few years while he beds in.

No it won't, if United do decline City will win, Chelsea at a push.
Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to Papillon:

Alright, it might open up one slot in the top flight.
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Six years, wow that will be some pay out.

This gets better and better.
In reply to Skip: Good response by the club.. its called class..
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to rocky57)
>
> Get in!
>
> Excellent news, like Souness to Liverpool all those years ago, except good news this time.

ok, I'll bite... why is it like Souness to Liverpool?
 Steve John B 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Skip) Good response by the club.. its called class..

Or a tried and tested long term business model which led to the on field decline of their American teams?

Either way, hopefully it will inspire other clubs to stick with their managers a bit longer.

I was thinking, apart from Wenger, who will be the longest-serving premier league manager now? Pulis?
 Graham Mck 09 May 2013
In reply to Steve John B: Moyes
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Skip)
> [...]
>
> ok, I'll bite... why is it like Souness to Liverpool?

Was the beginning of the decline.
 Steve John B 09 May 2013
In reply to Steve John B: And good luck to the new manager, tribal rivalries notwithstanding.
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Good response to what?

I truly am shocked (and delighted) by this appointment.It's Man Utd, they could have had just about any manager in world football, but chose Moyes???
 Steve John B 09 May 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
>
> I was thinking, apart from Wenger, who will be the longest-serving premier league manager now? Pulis?

Just googled it:

Wenger
Pulis
Martinez (if they stay up)
Mancini

No-one else over 3 years at the same club.
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Skip:
>
>
> I truly am shocked (and delighted) by this appointment.

You're shocked? Moyes has been generally regarded as the likely successor to Ferguson for the last five years!
Can't say I'm overjoyed at the decision, but it was very much expected.

Yanis Nayu 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno: I think the appointment of Moyles is a touch of class, and I think Fergie will play the upstairs role to perfection, helping when needed, keeping his nose out when not. I'm sure they've learnt from the aftermath of Sir Matt Busby retiring.
 Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Skip)
> [...]
>
> You're shocked? Moyes has been generally regarded as the likely successor to Ferguson for the last five years!

For sure, and i was fully aware of this. However i never thought they would actually do it.

Happy days indeed.

Skip 09 May 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Glyno) keeping his nose out when not.

Really!

You know little of Mr Ferguson.

Removed User 09 May 2013
In reply to Skip:

You know him personally then?

Yanis Nayu 09 May 2013
In reply to Skip: I expect I know a reasonable amount, and what I do isn't coloured by animosity. Time will tell.
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> Really!
>
> You know little of Mr Ferguson.

you and Sir Alex on speaking terms?
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to Glyno)
> [...]
>
> For sure, and i was fully aware of this. However i never thought they would actually do it.
>
> Happy days indeed.

I can understand your delight. Moyes's departure can only give encouragement to Liverpool as they strive to regain their position as Merseyside's top club.

In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> Good response to what?
>
> I truly am shocked (and delighted) by this appointment.It's Man Utd, they could have had just about any manager in world football, but chose Moyes???

Someone who knows the league, has done well without spending millions, has developed a team..

Mourinho is a 3 season manager.. that was what Charlton called him.. very good manager but he spends a hell of a lot and falls out with the club in 3 years.

Guardiola? I think he'd have been a risk.. doesn't know the league, the club, the players. He did superbly at Barca, came up with a system for Xavi, iniesta and Messi.. but all were already there.. and when he realised Xavi and Iniesta were on the wain he jumped..

Klopp would have been interesting as the German league is very similar..

Liverpool had a brave move appointing Rodgers, who is still quite inexperienced.. I think this is a brave move too, but hope we give him the 3 years and judge then. Fergie will stay involved but this is incomparable to Busby.. that was an old squad, this is a young squad.
In reply to Glyno: Lennon supposedly in the frame... think its too early for Neville but Hughes could be a good appointment.
Kipper 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Glyno) Lennon supposedly in the frame... think its too early for Neville but Hughes could be a good appointment.

I wouldn't really want any of those, but I did see Hughes sniffing around outside the ground a few years ago...

Padraig 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Is Fergie time over? Obviously not yet! On a day when 3 x Scottish soldiers were repatriated in bin bags the first fceking news story in Scotland was that DM was replacing the Whinger! NOT happy!
 Alan M 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I personally think this is a good move for all involved. Moyes has the potential to be a great manager. I also think he had taken Everton as far as he could, a new approach from a new manager could be what Everton needs to break the top 4.

The only concern I have is that with his limited experience...how much of a reorganisation will he attempt? will he try to make the team his own?

Like the saying goes it wasn't Fergie who knocked Liverpool off their perch it was Graeme Souness. Could a Moyes reshuffle do the same to United?
In reply to Alan M: In reply to Alan M:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> I personally think this is a good move for all involved. Moyes has the potential to be a great manager. I also think he had taken Everton as far as he could, a new approach from a new manager could be what Everton needs to break the top 4.
>
> The only concern I have is that with his limited experience...how much of a reorganisation will he attempt? will he try to make the team his own?
>
> Like Carragher once said it wasn't Fergie who knocked Liverpool off their perch it was Graeme Souness. Could a Moyes reshuffle do the same to United?

Not sure about that.. Dalglish let the team get old..

The signs were there before Souness..

http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/61

Even that mentions he let the team get old.

Its very different. Dalglish didn't hand over a championship winning team. They weren't doing well, the crowd were quiet and dalglish had made average signings..

Regardless for that 5 year period 1993-1997 we dominated the premiership, only lost the 95 title because of Erics ban..
 Glyno 09 May 2013
In reply to Alan M:
>
> The only concern I have is that with his limited experience...how much of a reorganisation will he attempt? will he try to make the team his own?
>
>

I don't really think Moyes will do too much tinkering prior to next season, it was the strength in depth of Utd's squad that was the reason they won the league this season. Maybe offload Rooney and possibly Nani who's combined fees should fund a quality midfielder or two.

...and contrary to some opinions, I think Ferguson's presence will be an absolute Godsend for Moyes as he finds his feet.
 Alan M 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Im not doubting though he did inherit a team that came second to Arsenal. I'm talking more about how much of a reshuffle that could potentially take place to make the team his own. Just posing a question!

I am not disputing that the key players in the Liverpool squad were ageing at the time of Souness taking over. The rumour was also that players like McMahon etc asked for more money or they would leave. The problem with Souness was that he cleared out players without adequate replacements lined up and lost the respect of senior players early on.

If you ever get the chance read the souness book The management years if I remember its name correctly there is some interesting things on the reshuffle and searching for replacements he evens says himself that some of the senior players refused to listen to him and didn't like his approach etc. Its an interesting read.
 Alan M 09 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Alan M)
> [...]
>
> I don't really think Moyes will do too much tinkering prior to next season, it was the strength in depth of Utd's squad that was the reason they won the league this season. Maybe offload Rooney and possibly Nani who's combined fees should fund a quality midfielder or two.
>
> ...and contrary to some opinions, I think Ferguson's presence will be an absolute Godsend for Moyes as he finds his feet.

Thats the thing, but at some point Moyes will need to make the team his own. Thats the unknown part and lack of experience could be costly, I fully expect for next season atleast it will be Fergies team on the pitch but with Moyes in the dug out. The season after?? We will never truely get to see how good Moyes is with Fergie lurking in the background.

I agree he may offload some players apart from Rooney (who looks like he may leave) will the other players he may get rid off be first team regulars or squad players? will he have full control of the transfer dealings? or will Ferguson be in the background pulling some strings i.e. director of football esq etc?

In reply to Alan M: I'll have a look for that, cheers.

I'm not sure how it will work.. I was worried when I heard it was going to be a joint role for a year.. that was a rumour earlier in the week.. which I don't.. a clear manager and then use Fergie for advice.. but Fergie needs to stay at arms length really and let Moyes have a go.

Be interestng who he brings, Feliana, Jagielka and Baines are possible.. and if he keeps our coaching staff as RVP especially loves the dutch guy we have, rene?..
In reply to Alan M: I'd take 25-30 mill for Rooney now.. he's nearly 28.. 2-3 seasons in him at most..
 wynaptomos 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
Oh come off it, take those red tinted glasses off for a second. Undoubtedly a great manager but "class" is something that Fergie very rarely showed whenever faced with a setback
In reply to wynaptomos: I said the club..

Give a long term contract, look for stability, quick out, quick in.. no public interviewing process.. interim managers.. no washing dirty laundry in public...
andymac 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I am trying to think of where he would go.

Cant see him getting a game for Bayern.No chance

Paris might be his best bet.

As for Moyes ,will be interesting to see who he brings in.or who he allowed to bring in.
I would suspect that any transfers were already done deals.

Lewandowski comes to mind.

Alan M 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Alan M) I'll have a look for that, cheers.
>
> I'm not sure how it will work.. I was worried when I heard it was going to be a joint role for a year.. that was a rumour earlier in the week.. which I don't.. a clear manager and then use Fergie for advice.. but Fergie needs to stay at arms length really and let Moyes have a go.
>
> Be interestng who he brings, Feliana, Jagielka and Baines are possible.. and if he keeps our coaching staff as RVP especially loves the dutch guy we have, rene?..

If I'm being honest I'm expecting Moyes to take to the job instantly. He's got the attributes to be an asset to any team whether it be the current champions or Wigan....He's a great manager! I would have him at Liverpool. I totally agree Fergie needs to stay at arms length Moyes needs to be the man in charge and allowd to make mistakes etc.

I hope he doesn't opt for his normal approach. He's defensively minded as managers go and that will not be to the United supporters liking if he reverts to type. It will also be odd watching United defending in packs instead of going for the win. One thing with Fergies united was that if the opposition scored 2 United would score 3. That isn't DM's philosophy!!

I would love Fellini, Baines Jagielka etc at Liverpool as well. However, I hope he doesn't raid the Everton team. As a liverpool supporter this is going to sound strange I enjoy that Liverpool are still in transition and moving forward footballing wise but as a city we still have a team (Everton) making positive strides. I fully expect liverpool to be in contention for the top 4 next season and hope to see Everton there also but they need to keep their key players.
In reply to andymac:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> I am trying to think of where he would go.
>
> Cant see him getting a game for Bayern.No chance
>
> Paris might be his best bet.
>
>
> As for Moyes ,will be interesting to see who he brings in.or who he allowed to bring in.
> I would suspect that any transfers were already done deals.
>
> Lewandowski comes to mind.

Supposedly he's off to Bayern now.. according to the Mail I think...

I also wonder if he will have made promises not to raid Everton.. but Baines and Feliani would be welcome additions.. we need a center mid..

Chelsea seems most likely for Rooney.. thats the rumours.. it was saying Bayern.. but can't see him playing abroad.
andymac 09 May 2013
In reply to Alan M:

Am sure Moyes will have an attacking style of play.

He wont have a choice.

Defensive style at Everton was down to the players and limited resources he had at his disposal
 wynaptomos 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I really can't see anyone like Chelsea, Bayern etc paying a lot of money for Rooney. I think he's past his best - good performances these days are quite few and far between. Fergie has often alluded to his physique and recovery time and I don't feel he has the same mentality of someone like Giggs with regards to prolonging his career.
 Glyno 10 May 2013
In reply to wynaptomos:
> (In reply to IainRUK) I really can't see anyone like Chelsea, Bayern etc paying a lot of money for Rooney. I think he's past his best - good performances these days are quite few and far between.

I agree with you.
And I don't think Rooney is as highly regarded in Europe as he is here.
Technically-minded foreign coaches probably see 'our Wayne' as a fat lad who has dodgy ankles.
I'd take anything over £15m for him (plus £15m per annum off the wage bill). I reckon in 2 years time his value will be nominal.
In reply to Glyno: I agree.. I like him, wouldn't mind him staying, but he could be a disruption if unhappy and he isn't curbing his off field behaviour. Keane was also a bit of a lad, but the '97 injury shook him up. From then on he got fit, got in shape.

Rooney just still doesn't look an athelete.
 Bob Hughes 10 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> First Thatcher dies, then Ferguson retires.
> Somewhere, there is a Scouser with a lamp and one wish left.
>
> E

LIKE!
 wbo 10 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK: I don't see a problem with Moyes. He ticks all the boxes pretty well except for one, which is a history of winning things at the highest level, and I don't suppose Ferguson would have picked him if he thought, at the end of the day, he was going to be a loser. He would have gone for someone with the hunger to get stuff done. The list of other possible candidates for the long haul was pretty short - Jurgen Klopp, and that's about it.

I have personally heard one international coach speak very badly of Rooney as basically an animal (bad table manners and just the same as British people on holiday) after meeting him as a junior. I don't doubt that he'd fetch 20+ tho'.

Comparisms to Souness are irrelevant. That was as messy as heck, and taking over a squad long after it's sell by date.
In reply to wbo: Its a great opportunity for Moyes.. and to be fair United deserve credit for going British, like Liverpool did. Few teams do, we look for the fancy foreign manager.

It may bring success but almost always short term success.

The telegraph was saying ManU expect in the region of 40 million for Rooney.. I just don't see that. I think anything ove 20 million is a good price. Close to 30 very good. He's a class player, inspires those around him but I'd be amazed if he's still a top draw player in 3 years.

The fact that Fergie went for the mobile welbeck over him against Madrid spoke volumes about the concerns they have over his mobility.
cb294 10 May 2013
In reply to Glyno:

As I posted at the top of the thread, still nothing mentioned in the German press about Bayern being interested in Rooney. Can´t see where he would fit in, either. They have more than enough attacking midfielders, and as a playing nine he is a class below Mandzukic or Gomez, who are both faster and stronger than Rooney.

CB
 wynaptomos 10 May 2013
In reply to cb294:
> (In reply to Glyno)
>
> As I posted at the top of the thread, still nothing mentioned in the German press about Bayern being interested in Rooney. Can´t see where he would fit in, either. They have more than enough attacking midfielders, and as a playing nine he is a class below Mandzukic or Gomez, who are both faster and stronger than Rooney.
>
> CB
Apart from Van Persie, I'm not sure any of the current Utd squad would automatically make it into the top European teams right now. As a Man City supporter it hurts me to say it but that's probably the greatest tribute you can pay Fergie in that he could win the league so convincingly with quite an ordinary looking squad!
So, looking forward, I do like Moyes and his appointment makes sense, but really hoping that it leads to a dip in Utd's fortunes.
Paul035 10 May 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...