UKC

BIRDS NESTING on Hadrian East, VDiff, CRAG LOUGH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was at Crag Lough yesterday, I was warming up on Hadrian East, and got to a point where my ample frame wasn't going to fit through a narrow gap about halfway up (where there's a large block on your left), I lowered off, went round to the top and abbed down to retrieve my gear, to find a nest with several speckled (crows' I believe) eggs in a tiny cave, about 6 inches behind my gear.

Later on when I was checking to make sure I hadn't left anything behind before I left, I did see a couple of crows fly out of the cave.
 martinph78 08 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles: We were up there last week and there were a lot of crows nesting around Hadrians buttress and in the overgrown gullies between the buttresses. Didn't spot the nest or eggs though.

In reply to Martin1978: I didn't see it until I was coming down from above. Although it would be possible to climb the route without disturbing the nest itself as it's back in the cave. I leave it up to the judgement of the individual.
 martinph78 08 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles: Did you see any peregrines? I heard there were some around by the lake but didn't see any all day. Avoided climbing the left side of the crag anyway, juts in case.
 Simon Caldwell 08 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
The peregrines near Main Wall will make themselves heard if you get too close!
In reply to Martin1978: I saw something. It was bigger than the crows, it could well have been a peregrine. It drifted north and vanished.
 martinph78 08 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles: Will keep my eye open next time I'm up there.
 sheeny 08 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles: They are Jacdaws, not every black bird is a crow!
In reply to sheeny: A Crow is any bird belonging to the genus 'Corvus'. A Jackdaws' latin name is Corvus Monedula. Meaning you are right in saying not all black birds are crows, however a Jackdaw, is.
 sheeny 08 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles: A Jackdaw is a member of the Corvus genus as is a Crow, not to be confused with Seagulls which only occur on postcards
In reply to sheeny: A crow is any member of the Corvus Genus.
 sheeny 09 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles: Now you've turned into a Parrot ( nobed nobedus)
 martinph78 09 May 2013
In reply to sheeny:
> not every black bird is a crow!

...but every crow is a black bird!

Darron 09 May 2013
In reply to Stamford Raffles:

Crows nest in trees (usually)
Jackdaws will nest in crevices/cracks in rock (usually)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...