Rock Destinations forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Travelling Rope

derryclimbs - on 08 May 2013
I recently went over to Spain with LyingAir (aka Ryanair) and had packed all my climbing gear in my hand luggage, with the missus bringing everything else we needed. Trying to do this on the cheap so avoiding check-in baggage was a must. Read up on the terms and conditions and there was nothing about ropes or slings being prohibited. The closest thing was a cam perhaps being labelled a blunt object.
So, turn up to the gates, security basically says "ummm, whats all that you've got in there" to which I explain we are off on a climbing holiday. Long story short; turns out I'm a flight risk because I can potentially tie all the cabin crew up. Ensue heated arguement and with the departure time looming I begrudgingly concede to pay the 60 to check the bag in or risk missing the flight altogether. Debit another 40 to post it back cause those buggers arent getting another penny and I'm down 100 squid.
On return I check the t&c's and low and behold, nothing about ropes again. I have been persuing a refund from the said airline but its a brickwall of no refunds policy so far.

So my question; Was I stupid thinking I could get a rope through security in the first place or do I have a case worth pursuing?

I'm sure there are plenty of other instances of people getting stung too, has anyone ever got their money back?
... not showing 9 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums