UKC

Good for Age.. London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Banned User 77 08 May 2013
So a link I can't post says.. one more year as it was..

Change of heart by organisers..

If true.. very sensible..
 alicia 08 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Any idea if they actually check if you're a UK resident??
In reply to alicia: In the US they don't.. I got in Boston that way..
In reply to IainRUK: sorry its not at all.. just re read the link..
 Wonrek 09 May 2013
In reply to alicia: I'll be chasing that GFA place this year. I've entered a few flat road marathons over the summer to get me there. I think if I don't stop three (yes, she hangs her head in shame!) times for the loo and run an extra half mile all crimes I'm guilty of in London this year......

I shouldn't need to run faster, just smarter!

alicia 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Oooh good to know. Also, the London times seem a bit harsh for the guys? I don't think a guy's 3:05 is equivalent to a woman's 3:45...
 alicia 09 May 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

At least you're doing better than a certain friend of mine (who shall remain nameless unless he wants to identify himself) who tends to stop off at the pub midway through a race!

but yeah, if you got rid of that extra time you'd already be there...
 andy 09 May 2013
In reply to alicia:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Oooh good to know. Also, the London times seem a bit harsh for the guys? I don't think a guy's 3:05 is equivalent to a woman's 3:45...

I think iain's second post said they've not changed them:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-mar...
 Nutkey 09 May 2013
In reply to alicia:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> Oooh good to know. Also, the London times seem a bit harsh for the guys? I don't think a guy's 3:05 is equivalent to a woman's 3:45...

It used to be 3hrs and 3:45....
 Wonrek 09 May 2013
In reply to alicia: Definitely agree about the men's times being harsh. One of the few times it pays to be an old burd I say!

Even the men's 50-55 is 3.20!
In reply to Wonrek: But womens participation in running isn't great, especially at the sharp end, there's not many in the 'decent club runner' standard.

Snowdon Marathon record is 2:28? for blokes, 3:08 for womens.. and that sort of difference isn't unusual, where as really there should be 10-13 minutes, say 30 seconds a mile, between the records.

For blokes its fairly dominated by V40-V55's.. then it things off a bit, but those age groups are very competitive..

Welsh guy just set V60 10K world record.. 32:54..
 The New NickB 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Wonrek) But womens participation in running isn't great, especially at the sharp end, there's not many in the 'decent club runner' standard.
>
> Snowdon Marathon record is 2:28? for blokes, 3:08 for womens.. and that sort of difference isn't unusual, where as really there should be 10-13 minutes, say 30 seconds a mile, between the records.

I am surprised someone like Anna Lupton didn't have a go at that.

> For blokes its fairly dominated by V40-V55's.. then it things off a bit, but those age groups are very competitive.
>
> Welsh guy just set V60 10K world record.. 32:54..

The woman at number 2nd on the FV60 UK 10k list for 2013 is a member of my club, it is 43+.
In reply to The New NickB: Yeah Anna would destroy it.. she'd certainly be sub 3 hrs. I think its now 3:06 as Emily Gelder won it last year..

Thickhead 09 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

The woman who won in 2010 ran 3:05...

(The year Richie Gardiner won the men's - she was running for the Police too).
In reply to Thickhead: ok so maybe thats the record.. Christine Howard..

I always thought Sarah should have gone for it but it just never appealed. Its a soft record for such a classic marathon.
Thickhead 10 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

How close would Angela Mudge have been if she didn't have to stop with a hip problem?

Was it marathons or this particular marathon that didn't appeal?

The men's time may come under threat soon with the emergence of good local talent. Will be interesting viewing from afar this time and not being part of it!
Thickhead 10 May 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

A relative of my wife is a great grandmother of late 60s and she has no trouble running a 45min 10k. It's frightening how fit some of these people are for their age.

I think she holds the UK 5k record not just for her age group but 10years younger too.
 The New NickB 10 May 2013
In reply to Thickhead:

43+ doesn't seem like very fast to me even for a fv60, but it seems that is what the standard is, much, much slower than the top men of the same age.
In reply to Thickhead: Well under..

I tend to beat Angela, especially on runnable courses, Jungfrau I was 8 minutes ahead. I was probably in around 2:48 shape for Snowdonia last year, So I think she's be comfortably sub 3 on Snowdonia.

No idea what went wrong, Jungfrau is basically a road marathon and she did OK there. Just thought it was a hip issue.

We'll see. Rob's pb remains Snowdonia I think.. he just ran 2:36 at London.. so its a long way to take off 8 minutes.. Alun may have a chance but its still a good 5 mins off what he could probably run.. he may well have a go.

Thickhead 10 May 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

A woman close to 70 running a 22min 5K/44min 10K is pretty impressive to me.

You do get many more men running in that age group though so there is more competition for the blokes.

I'll be happy if I can run anywhere near that at her age, and I comfortably run about 17/36 respectively at the moment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...