UKC

fingerboard gains in a month

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
garbage 10 May 2013
Hi, I'm going on a holiday in just over a months time and want to be at my peak for when I'm away.

I've recently been thinking about getting a training board but was just wondering if realistically there was any chance of improving strength in only one month.

I'm asking because if the answers no then I think I'll hold off buying one until I return.

Thanks

P.s - if anyones selling one make me an offer
 martinph78 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage: I'm sure you could make some gains, but I think that the risk of injury from overdoing it/doing something new right before going on holiday would outweigh the gains.
 jazzyjackson 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage:

In one month you could easily lose enough weight to supercede any gain in finger strength!

Get running every 2nd day, long slow distance.

gd luck : )
garbage 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage: Yeh, I suppose injury may be a problem, wouldn't want to ruin my trip!

Fortunately I don't need to lose any weight - while running may make me fitter, losing weight would be more of a health problem for me than gaining it.

Cheers
 Nick Russell 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage:

If you're new to fingerboarding, probably not much gain. I think I spent the best part of a month working out how best to use it, where my limits were, etc. Immediately after that I probably got the fastest improvement though! I'm sure I won't be the only person to suggest going down to the bouldering wall an extra session or two per week. You can probably get a 1 month pass to limit the cost, as long as you have the time.
 Morgan P 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage: Specifically fingerboards - I don't know. Training in general, a month is loads of time for some dedicated training. I did some serious training for about 2 weeks before a weekend trad trip and upped my onsight grade by a good few grades. Also went to canada for a month and had time to train and upped bouldering grade by about 2 grades. Neither of the imporvements stayed long as I didn't carry on training afterwards but you can definitely make worthwhile improvements within a month.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 May 2013
In reply to Morgan P: Do you reckon that was mostly due to the training or more due to a change in attitude? I don't know about you in particular but it seems to me that for a lot of people operating in the lower grades the limiting factor is more mental attitude than fitness.
 Keendan 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage:

Easily. Warm up carefully but yes, I think you would make some good gains in a short time.
 Fraser 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage:

It depends on your current level I suppose but just using a fingerboard, I'd doubt it. I'd suggest that your time would be better spent elsewhere.
garbage 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage: thanks for the feedback, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer but hopefully a month of intensive general climbing will give me an improvement.

Keendan 10 May 2013
In reply to garbage:

I guess really you're looking 3 1/2 weeks. Remember to rest extra before your trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...