UKC

What new harness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Aston 10 May 2013
I use at present a Petzl , with adjustable leg loops, two adjustable waist buckles. Plastic gear loops . I mainly do Trad but want a good all rounder winter, trad , sport & inside routes. Want at least 4 good gear loops , any ideas ?
ice.solo 10 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:

BD aspect is a nice all rounder. Adjustable legs, 5 loops, clipper slots. Not the lightest but all the bits
 Skyfall 11 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:

funnily enough i've just got a BD aspect - v good though I have to say the gear loops are disappointingly small (the only issue I have with it and depends how big your normal rack is).

In reply to Chris Aston:

Another vote for the BD Aspect
J1234 11 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:
I tried a wild country syncro for a couple of months which I found very comfy for sport but I couldn`t get on with the overlapped gear loops so have gone back to a DMM Renegade, 6 loops + a rear loop, ice screw fitments and comfy, got mine from fell and mountain at Accrington for a good price.
OP Chris Aston 11 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston: Thanks , any other ideas . is there any good ones with double waist buckles like the petzl ones use to be ?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 11 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston: If you don't mind spending a bit extra the arcteryx harnesses are very nice. I've got an R300 and it works well as an all rounder.

What do you mean by 'double waist buckles'? Do you mean the waist loop has 2 buckles so you can center it effectively? Or double back buckles?
 cuppatea 11 May 2013
In reply to remus:

I'm guessing two buckles like on the old Petzl Guru (replaced with the Gurou?) which were the traditional doubleback rather than ziplock speed undo style.

The DMM Renegade has a floating "padded bit" that can slide along the main webbing strap. Works brilliantly to centre all the gear loops and seems a good solution.

OP Chris Aston 12 May 2013
In reply to remus: yeah i mean waist loop has 2 buckles so you can center it effectivel
 HeMa 12 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:

DMM Renegade for winter and long trad.

Something cheap and light for indoor, sport and short trad (eg. BD Ozone or something similar).
 Dino Dave 12 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston: another shout for the DMM renegade. No double buckle, but you the harness slides on the webbing so it takes only a second to centre. No idea wether the BD also recommended does the same.

The renegade also has 7 gear loops, so plenty for whatever you climb, which angle down to the front so you gear doesn't get hidden behind your back! Very comfy aswell!!
 cuppatea 12 May 2013
In reply to DavidRex:

Might be some bargains to be had on the Renegade due to the Renegade 2 coming out
OP Chris Aston 12 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston: Thanks
 Oceanic 12 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:

I bought a DMM Super Couloir to use as a winter specific harness, but found that I like it so much I use it year round.

Admittedly that's a bit of a left field suggestion, but I find it is the best harness I've had (and I've tried loads over the years).

Lightweight, plenty of gear loops, easy to put on, comfortable enough.
 John Kelly 12 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:

Camp Air - very light, reasonably priced, does what it says on the tin in both summer and winter
 winhill 12 May 2013
In reply to Chris Aston:

Petzl corax has double buckles so you can centre it, I'm on my second. Mind you, is that was you have already?

Bit heavy though, Hirundos is nice and light , read Es Tresidder's review on here.
 Damo 12 May 2013
In reply to winhill:
I've been using the Hirundos as an alpine harness for nearly a year and it's very light and comfortable to wear around. But I've noticed just recently, doing some trad (which it is not specifically designed for) that involved more abseiling, that it would not be great to hang around in, not comfortable, seems to need more padding or a different design. Or maybe I do...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...