UKC

MSR micro rocket or jetboil zip?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 11 May 2013
For alpine bivi's upto 2000-3000m. MSR micro rocket + titan kettle, or Jetboil zip?

Thanks.
ice.solo 11 May 2013
In reply to ralphio:

zip, titanium, everytime.

you need only bivi once on a cramped ledge in the cold to see the benefits. rig it to hang and ditch the bits you dont need, even better.

micro rocket is still a great little stove, but leave it for using in lodges, summer trails and spacious camps.
 Tommyads 11 May 2013
In reply to ralphio:
More important I would say is the fuel.

You will notice a huge difference between 70/30 butane/propane and Jetboils own isobutane cannisters.

I would say get the micro rocket and some jetboil gas.
In reply to ralphio: FWIW I use a cheap £10 Pocket Rocket copy off ebay plus a 2litre titan pan.

If you want to spend £25 extra on a Micro Rocket to save 30g, then go ahead but I think it'd be one of the least cost effective weight saving purchase you could make. Also, when I'm cooking for 2 (or 3) in the Alps I find using anything smaller than a 2litre pan is just a complete pain.

That said, either of the options you suggest would work well enough.
OP ralphio 11 May 2013
In reply to ralphio: wouldn't normally think to spend so much on a set up but i have seen a sale where i could get the micro rocket and titan kettle for £55. Basically i'd be getting the stove for free.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...