UKC

Siurana in June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harry Chaplin 11 May 2013
Thinking of heading out to Siurana on the 1st June for a month or so and we were wondering what the weather is like at that time of year? ie is it too hot to climb? And if so where would you recommend for that time of year with no car?
 krasavenko 12 May 2013
In reply to Harry Chaplin: not been there in June - but we were in Siurana for 2 weeks this april and by the end of our trip the temperature was becoming unbearable out of shade. of course there are sectors that get shade at particular times and you have early mornings and late evenings - depends if yuu want to put up with it or not
 wrath 12 May 2013
In reply to Harry Chaplin:
Rodellar or Ceuse would be a better bet for that time of year.
 Nille 12 May 2013
I've been at the beginning of July last year. It was very hot and climbing was only possible early mornings and late afternoons and always in the shade. If you climb 6b and above comfortably that's not necessarily a problem but otherwise you will be challenged to find many routes that are easy enough and also in the shade.

Btw, I didn't go for a climbing specific holiday. I was in the area anyway. I wouldn't go in June/July if you plan a full on climbing trip. .
 Pete O'Donovan 12 May 2013

Your choice of where to spend a month-long sport climbing trip to Spain in June might actually be more dependent on your lack of personal transport than the climate.

Of the top of my head only a couple of places fit the bill: Siurana and Rodellar. Both have public transport links from major towns and both offer accommodation options from where it is possible to walk to lots of different sectors in under 30 minutes.

Rodellar is the acknowledged premium summer destination, but only if you climb 7b or harder. Below that you will be struggling to find enough to last a week, let alone a month.

Siurana is certainly an option: there are several major sectors getting shade until early/mid afternoon (Onassis, Can Codolà, l'Aparador) as well as one or two others providing afternoon shade (Siuranella Nord being the most popular).

Far more hot weather choices are available in Lleida province (northwest Catalunya) but most are unviable without a car.

Pete.
 Alun 13 May 2013
As others have said, in June you will be hunting shade. Siurana is definately possible without a car, though if you're unlucky it might still be baking.

One left-field option is Montserrat. You can get there by public transport, there is camping and refuges on the mountain, and the north face is full of adventure! Shortly after moving out here I wrote something about my first route on one of the big walls there: http://alunthomasevans.blogspot.com.es/2007/06/el-paret-dels-diables.html

A month is too long for Montserrat though, perhaps you could do two weeks there and then two weeks in Siurana.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...