UKC

Injury, back of knee during rockovers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 partz 11 May 2013
Hi all

About 4 weeks ago I started to notice I couldnt rockover on my left leg. I could slightly heel-hook, but as soon as I pointed my foot down and start to pull my knee inwards (thus rocking over onto it) Well basically I couldn't because the pain was excruciating and Id have to stop.

The pain is in a strange place too. The back of my left kneecap, inbetween the two main (tendons?). The pain mostly begins if I point my foot downwards and ceases if I stop the movement. Theres no swelling or obvious signs of deformation.

Pretty much any other movement however is fine - I can walk, run, ride bikes and do all other climbing movements include toe-hooks, flags - everything except leftward rock overs!

Im mid final year engineering exams at the moment so havent been to a physio yet, has anyone come across this before or can offer advice? Its been 4 weeks now and I have still used it but not in ways that exasabate it.

Any help would be appreciated!
 koalapie 06 Jun 2013
In reply to partz: Problems with rock-overs usually suggest a meniscus problem, maybe from too much rocking over. Once a meniscus is aggravated it usually stays that way for a couple of months, so you want to avoid the aggravating activities, then gradually build back up. But it's not certain this is what you are describing, so it could be anything, therefore if it's still bothering you after a decent relative rest period then have it checked out by a good physio.
 riddle 06 Jun 2013
In reply to partz:

The back of my left kneecap, inbetween the two main (tendons?). The pain mostly begins if I point my foot downwards and ceases if I stop the movement. Theres no swelling or obvious signs of deformation.

Based on the above it could be the origin of the Gastrocnemius muscle, which is plantaflex the foot and knee flexion which are both actions involved with rock-overs.

Try some first aid (R..I.C.E) whilst you make an appointment with a physio or sports massage therapist.
Rest, Ice (4 minutes on 90 minutes off), Compress (with your own fingers and follow the muscle down) and Elevate (often as you can).

Take lots of fish oil to help with the inflammation.

Rest it. Listen to your therapist.

Good luck and get well soon.

PS, rest it, the rock, boulder will still be there.
 nigel pearson 07 Jun 2013
In reply to partz:
If you mean the back of the knee, then I had a similar problem. It came on after a particularly session when I did lots of hard heel hook moves.

It stopped me being able to do heel hooks of any difficulty for about 3 to 4 months. It has now recovered and is no longer a problem.

If you mean inside the knee joint then that is something different.

It is likely to improve with rest and avoidance of that particular move, but as with other tendon/ cartilage injuries, may take several months.
ElArt 16 Jun 2013
In reply to partz: Do you think taking a break and focusing on studying would be best of action?

One injury often leads to compensatory injury or further/worsening of the injury.

Maybe switch fire to alternate training and fingerboard work?

People have knee problems for years so it would be beneficial to see a Dr or physio ASAP.

Best of luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...