ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - First aid in climbing clubs

tcn_2002 - on 12 May 2013
We (Oxford UMC) realised last year that we were committed to having at least one first-aid trained member on every club meet - and worked out after a straw poll that this was almost never the case. I'd imagine a lot of clubs have similar commitments. How do other clubs deal with first aid provision? Do you have designated Health and Safety officers or rely on individual members getting trained? Does it work?

Our solution was to run bespoke Mountaineering First Aid courses in Oxford - we had more than 30 people go through them for 60 each. Very cheap, very convenient and brilliantly taught. If you're involved with a climbing club and fancy running a specific first aid course local to you, message me for our instructor's details - I'm keen to recommend him to other clubs.

I certainly feel a lot safer going on meets now, knowing that a fair number of people would have an inkling of what to do if it all went pear-shaped. Breaking an ankle at Stanage is one thing but doing something serious on a remote crag out of phone signal is obviously a bit different!
... not showing 24 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums