UKC

Fat Stripping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Giles Davis 12 May 2013
Hi All,

With regards to calorie intake versus calorie expenditure;

If you are burning more calories than you are taking in will your body always take excess fat and turn it into Carbs / sugars etc. or will it take muscle before fat in some circumstances?

The main point of my question is a friend of mine (a Doctor) told me that there are certain fats that your body will always store around the stomach and unless you reduce or eliminate these types of fats there will always be a degree of fat around your stomach.

I have been running around 25-30km each week and walking heaps (probably another 25-30km) and am steadily getting fitter, leaner etc. however at 47 I have a small amount of cellulite on my abs which I would like to strip off. Problem is I am finding it difficult to leave out 2 of my favourite drinks/foods . . . . Sauvignon Blanc and Chocolate Chip cookies (Chocolate Hobnobs also).

I don' really mind if I have to completely give up these luxuries but wanted to know if I actually could have my cake and eat it :-D

Cheers
Giles
 Brass Nipples 12 May 2013
In reply to Fuerteman:

Fat people should never strip..
 RagingSphere 12 May 2013
In reply to Beat me to it!:

I've been to a couple of clubs where that rule was not followed...
 JamButty 12 May 2013
In reply to Fuerteman: Not really a technical answer, but I found it took about 3 months of running for my weight to start coming off. I'm now at a level of fitness where I can eat lots of crap as well as generally healthy food and my weight is fairly consistent.
I was told running in the morning without any food is a good way to hit it hard.
Don't give up on your faves you'll turn into a real saddo.

martinph78 12 May 2013
In reply to Fuerteman:
> If you are burning more calories than you are taking in will your body always take excess fat and turn it into Carbs / sugars etc. or will it take muscle before fat in some circumstances?

Keeping things simple, whilst you have fats and carbs available your body will use these for moderate exercise. Once you go into intense exercise (long duration or very high intensity) your body may start to metabolise proteins if your muscle carbohydrate stores become depleted. As I say, keeping it simple. If you eat properly and don't overtrain this shoudln't be a problem.

> The main point of my question is a friend of mine (a Doctor) told me that there are certain fats that your body will always store around the stomach and unless you reduce or eliminate these types of fats there will always be a degree of fat around your stomach.

He is sort of correct. It's not fats that are the real problem though, but more likely carbs, especially simple carbs (processed carbs such as refined sugar, biscuits, white rice etc) that if not used are converted into fats and, in males, stored around the stomach (a process that happens more easily with age unfortunately). Visceral fat (as it is known) is a leading indicator of overweight and obesity related disease and illness in males.

Goods fats are good for you. So are carbs in moderation. The problem comes when you eat more carbs than the body can store so it converts them to fat.

Personally I eat plenty of carbs on exercise days, and recovery days after intense exercise, but limit them on rest days. It's a balance that works for me as I don't have a regular training plan as such. I have a higher fat diet now (good, natural fats from nuts, organic whole milk, olive oil, etc), which fuels day-to-day activities and moderate exercise sessions, and top it up with carbs when doing more intense sessions.

Keep running, keep eating at a small calorie deficit (500 calories a day as a rough guide) and the fat will come off. It's a slow process around the gut though. Forget about the 6 pack at your age though, it'll take way too strict a diet to achieve!

martinph78 12 May 2013
In reply to Fuerteman: I should clarify, that a balanced diet everyday is key, but tailoring it to include more carbs when needed is a good solution I think. Don't think that carbs are bad and should be eliminated on days off though, more like add more of them as a "supplement" when training/after training.

Hope that makes sense.
 nufkin 12 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

> if not used are converted into fats and, in males, stored around the stomach (a process that happens more easily with age unfortunately). Visceral fat (as it is known) is a leading indicator of overweight and obesity related disease and illness in males.

Isn't visceral fat deep inside, around the organs, though? I thought fat under the skin ('on the abs', in this case) was less of a concern?
 martinph78 13 May 2013
In reply to nufkin: Yup, it lies in the abdominal cavity (and eventually shows itself as a pot belly). Sub-cutaneous fat lies under the skin.

mbh 13 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978: A colleague of mine once told me never to trust a man over 40 with a six-pack. A flat-pack is all I aspire to.
OP Giles Davis 16 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

Martin,

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the late reply (travelling in Europe), not too bothered about the six-pack (although it would be cool), just wanted to have no unsightly fat

Cheers
Giles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...