UKC

Flats or cushioned?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MonkeyPuzzle 12 May 2013
I've just started running because, well because I'm getting fat, but I'm looking to get a first pair of dedicated running shoes - my Merrels just feel a bit heavy for the task. I've done a bit of research and can't decide whether I should get flats or something a lot more cushioned. My right knee can get often get sore from climbing and walking, so I thought maybe cushioned trainers would be the way forward until a friend said that their bad knees had improved after switching to more "barefoot" style-shoes.

Any advice gratefully received!
 quirky 12 May 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: I recently got a pair of puma faas and really rate them, they are a bit of a best of both worlds shoe, flat but also a good degree of cusioning, i am very impressed with them and may even try the tail version.
 Run_Ross_Run 12 May 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
Get urself down to a decent running shop and get ur gait analysed. That way you can get some footware to correct any issues you may have.

Check the soles on the shoes you wear most often. Might well give an idication.

Your joints may ache if you don't get things right.
 didntcomelast 12 May 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle: You need to visit a good running shop and take some advice, or better still visit a few running shops to get advice. You need to establish what type of runner you are and how you place your feet when running. Barefoot running shoes are not the best if your style favours heel strike first. If you have existing knee issues you may need cushioning or you may need to change your running style.
OP MonkeyPuzzle 12 May 2013
Thanks for the advice all.
 The Norris 12 May 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Theres a running shop at the bottom of st michaels hill in case you hadnt already spotted it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...