UKC

New 10k PB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Woohoo, just completed a 47.34 PB, just in time for my second race this weekend and the wind was fierce.

Do I dare think that I can crack 47mins on the day?
 DancingOnRock 13 May 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Why are you running at race pace, six days before a race?

You should easily crack it.
In reply to DancingOnRock: last training sesh, gonna have one more slow run on Wed then rest until Sat.
 The New NickB 14 May 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Don't worry at all about having done a fast run this week, you should need much recovery over that distance. Most of my best performances have come off hard weeks of training.

You know your body though and do what you feel is right.

You will run faster in a race.
XXXX 14 May 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Indeed, my best ever race (according to RunBritain) was a 10 mile race I entered on a whim the day after a hard 10k!

You can easily crack 47 minutes. Just believe it. I'm running my first 10k in 13 years this weekend. Absolutely no idea what time I'm going to get.

StefanB 14 May 2013

Aim for sub 45. If you do 47.34 in training you can go below 45 in a race. Races are always faster, no matter how hard you think you have worked on a trainng run.
 StefanB 14 May 2013
In reply to StefanB:

Obviously, be clever about it. Pick your goal pace and hang on to a group if possible. Don't be the pace maker and qind breaker for someone else for the whole 10k.
 Morgan Woods 14 May 2013

well done...i'm struggling to get below 50 mins for the 10.
 tony 14 May 2013
In reply to StefanB:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)
>
> Aim for sub 45. If you do 47.34 in training you can go below 45 in a race. Races are always faster, no matter how hard you think you have worked on a trainng run.

Races are always faster - my partner did a 10k at the weekend, and started off in a paced group with a time of 50 minutes in mind. After the first mile she felt it was all a bit too slow, so went past the pacer and carried on, and got a time of 48.06, without feeling like she'd really been pushing. Belief is part of the battle - if you think slow, you'll hold back and go slow, but if you think faster, you'll go faster (within limits, obviously).

I agree that a 45 minute time should be possible off the back of a 47.34 training run. Take the first 2-3 k sensibly but at a 4.40min/k sort of pace, and then feel good about kicking on for the rest.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. Sub 45? Hmm. Sub 46? Ill be delighted.
 Banned User 77 14 May 2013
In reply to tony: I agree.. I run upper 33's and if I can run 37 in training I'm happy.. certainly sub 45 should be the goal.
 tony 14 May 2013
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. Sub 45? Hmm. Sub 46? Ill be delighted.

Once you get under 46, you'll know you can get under 45. Go for it, and enjoy yourself!

So having completed 2 10 races over the weekend - a toughish trail run on Saturday at 48.36 and then a slower one where I backed off the pace to run with a friend at 56.38 I have just done a training session this evening and.................

wait for it....................

46.40!!!!!!!!!!!! yet another PB and almost a minute off.

I am signed up for another 10k in just under two weeks and so I plan to do a slower 10k in a couple of days, a half over the weekend, a fast 5k and then a slower couple of 10s next week followed by 3-4 days rest.

Do I dare think about the magic 45 mins?

One thing for sure, I'm enjoying the running a the moment.
 Banned User 77 21 May 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Well done.. mixing the race distances can help, you can't keep running pbs every 2 weeks..

But sub 45 should be a formality seriously..

I just ran 39 for 10k and that felt fairly hard.. 9 k at 6:30 then 3 k faster.. I'll race in 34 ish..

But 3-4 rest days is overkill for a 10k.. one day off.. run.. day off is plenty..

My taper is for a marathon is 100%, 70%, 40% weekly mileage totals in last 3 weeks.. and then in the last week monday and friday off.. or maybe just a nike Wednesday.

short sharp runs in the last week help.

Oceanic 21 May 2013

Sounds like I'm in a similar place to you in terms of times in races.

I've been finding tempo runs and speed training to be the most helpful. Doing both every week (and trusting that improvements will come over months not weeks) seems to be gradually helping me to chip away at my times.
 StefanB 21 May 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

> .. or maybe just a nike Wednesday.

Is this like dress down friday, but wearing trainers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...