UKC

Striding Edge + Backpacking Backpack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SophieEmily 15 May 2013
Backpacking up Striding Edge, any opinions on how much harder the edge is with a big ole rucksack on. Not done the edge before, but have ventured over the CMD Arete twice (sans large rucksack though).
Obviously this question is weather dependant... was only going to go in good conditions.
 JayPee630 15 May 2013
In reply to SophieToast:

It's 21.35% harder with a large pack on.
 martinph78 15 May 2013
In reply to SophieToast:

http://sdrv.ms/13xd6XD

No problem, even with a bit of snow on it
 Wainers44 15 May 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to SophieToast)
>
> It's 21.35% harder with a large pack on.

In fact a fall is almost a certainty
 mark burley 17 May 2013
In reply to SophieToast: find a nice wall 4 foot off the ground and a foot wide. Walk along it in hiking boots, no pack , then with loaded back pack. Factor in a cross wind and 20 people coming in the other direction. It's not perfect but will give you a clue.
How well do you pack the sack, how stable is it, will it be wet by the time you get there. These are all questions we can't answer.
There is an easy track a few metres down one side so you should be fine if you don't fancy the ridge but there are more logical backpacking routes up.
I would prefer Sykeside up to Hart Crag, along to Fairfield, Dollywagon and Nethermost Pike.
 Trevers 17 May 2013
In reply to mark burley:
> (In reply to SophieToast) find a nice wall 4 foot off the ground and a foot wide. Walk along it in hiking boots, no pack , then with loaded back pack. Factor in a cross wind and 20 people coming in the other direction. It's not perfect but will give you a clue.
> How well do you pack the sack, how stable is it, will it be wet by the time you get there. These are all questions we can't answer.
> There is an easy track a few metres down one side so you should be fine if you don't fancy the ridge but there are more logical backpacking routes up.
> I would prefer Sykeside up to Hart Crag, along to Fairfield, Dollywagon and Nethermost Pike.

I only remember there being one bit where it was really narrow. All the difficulties can be easily avoided. It's nowhere near as committing as Crib Goch or Aonoch Eagach. Hence why it's called Striding Edge not Shuffling Edge
 kestrelspl 18 May 2013
In reply to Trevers: I did it with a 25kg bag as part of the coast to coast and it seemed fine. I'd have been a bit more hesitant if it had been very windy or wet but then that would be the case without the bag.
DoverPiker 18 May 2013
I did both Striding and Sharp Edges in the same day last year whilst doing Wainwright's tour in the lakes (solo). I had a full packs worth of food, cooking, camping kit etc for the six days on me back and did them no bother.

You will be fine, just take your time.

Cheers
Will.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...