UKC

Kettelebell training for climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Zen 16 May 2013
Has anyone used kettlebells as training for climbing? How did you get on and what exercises did you find the most useful?

I was thinking of using mine to satisfy the 'pulling' focus of climbing by doing more pushing workouts, maybe even pulling the weight with certain fingers or working my core.

Thoughts?
 dek 16 May 2013
In reply to Zen:
Think there's any advantage over bog standard dumbells?
Zen 16 May 2013
In reply to dek:

There's an entire school of theory that kettlebells are more functional than dumbells in the sense that the weight is directional and thus more akin to situations in real life where loads are often off-axis, and kettlebells also have the added effect of improving grip and core because of this. One large kettlebell exercise (like a swing) works more muscle groups than the same movement with a dumbell, improves ballistic movement and offers a really good cardio workout if used correctly.

http://news.menshealth.com/why-use-kettlebells/2012/02/29/

To quote the main points of the article [in reference to kettlebells V. freeweights]:

"'If your goal was just to get strong, you don’t need kettlebells,' Brown says. 'If your goal is to burn fat, increase power endurance, and get strong, then kettlebells are a great tool.'"

"You’ll activate dozens of muscles instead of just a few, which increases your body’s fat-burning metabolism, Brown says. You’ll also improve your power endurance, or your muscles’ ability to repeatedly perform fast, powerful movements during an extended period."

That sounds perfect for bouldering improvement, or so I'm thinking?

Basically I still have the kettlebell from a previous workout I had intended to do very shortly before I had touched a climbing wall for the first time. I was more interested in whether I could get any real climbing-beneficial use out of it rather than the comparison with other weights.
ice.solo 16 May 2013
In reply to Zen:

I like em and use them a few times a week. They offer different wrist and momentum options from DBs. I bit less stable in the hand too so good for fine muscular stuff. Fast stuff where you switch hands they nicer than DBs, but DBs have a lot to recommend them too.
If i could only have one tho id choose KBs.

For climbing specific stuff not sure they are special, but for general mobility under stress they are good. Halos and turkish get ups are good ways to stress the body in complex ways, that can then be complimented or antagonized.

Swings, manmakers work body tension well.

A sack with 30kg of sand in it will do a lot too.
 radson 16 May 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Turkish get ups are evil. I really should do more of them.
 More-On 16 May 2013
In reply to Zen: Andy Kirkpatrick talks about them in his 'hands' book - might be worth a look. The whole thing is an entertaining read anyway!
andic 16 May 2013
In reply to radson:

Googled Turkish get ups and came across this http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=POdzasJklxw
matejn 16 May 2013
In reply to Zen: For me kettlebells in combination with gymnastics rings are the best tools possible as training for climbing. I must add that I do GS type of exercises with kettlebells.
 radson 16 May 2013
In reply to andic:

I have seen that video its inspiring and depressing at the same time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...