UKC

3 peaks training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
im up in snowdonia at the weekend staying in capel and suggestions for routes for some 3 peaks training
 sleavesley 16 May 2013
In reply to minus273degrees: traverse the glyders, its quieter than Snowdon and will also take you longer.
You can walk from Capel Curig too if you want.
 bouldery bits 16 May 2013
In reply to minus273degrees:

I'd practice sitting in a steamed up mini bus and taking hasty glamourless turds at a motorway services.

The hardest part of the 3 Peaks Challenge is travelling in between them squashed in a vehicle, seizing up then getting out again and walking. You can't really relax or stretch out properly inbetween hills. I would suggest to do a long mountain day, sit in a car for a few hours then get out and do the same distance again. Oh yeah. Do it once you have been up for at least 12 hours as well.

Glyders and Carneddau traverses will give you good days out
In reply to minus273degrees: From Capel walk up to Cefn Capel on to Foel Goch towards the Glyderau, down to Ogwen, up Pen Yr Ole Wen and back toward Capel Via C Daffydd and Llewellyn, Pen Yr Helgi Du and Pen Llithrig Y Wrach
 Run_Ross_Run 16 May 2013

Its ace fun so enjoy it.

Load up your rucksack with a bit more gear/weight than usual to give the legs muscles a bit of an extra workout. It'll help with the ups and downs when you come to do it.

Tim Chappell 16 May 2013

3 Peaks? Then why go to Snowdonia? I suggest you go to Yorkshire and get more relevant terrain-training.
 andyd1970 16 May 2013
In reply to minus273degrees: The 3 peaks is not that difficult really but a heavy pack and a good walk across either the Glyders or the Carnnedds would be good training.
In reply to Tim Chappell: climbing club meet at our club hut every month so its got 2 purposes
 GrahamD 17 May 2013

Which 3 peaks ? there are at least two well known 3 peaks 'challenges'.

In either case, though, just lots of walking.
Iain(2010) 17 May 2013
If you want a challenge go and do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, its one peak after another done in around 10ish hours. You don't get a long rest in a car between peaks, you don't burn loads of fuel, but you can sit in the pub afterwards and be sure you have indeed accomplished something.

Why go to Fort William for a few hours when you could have a long weekend doing loads of stuff and actually enjoy and appreciate the landscape etc etc? Same logic goes for visits to the Lake District and Snowdonia.
Lusk 17 May 2013
In reply to Iain(2010):

Talking of getting fit, I'm hoping to get this in the bag before my 3rd attempt on the Cuillin Ridge in July....

http://gb.mapometer.com/walking/route_3144964.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...