UKC

Another 50 vs 60m rope thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 17 May 2013
Right, getting a Beal Flyer 2. It's replacing a old tatty 50m Singing rock.

Ropes I already own:

50m 10.4mm singing rock (end of life)
2 x 50m Beal Cobra IIs (2 years old, good nick)
70m 9.5mm Mammut infinity (planning on hitting up Europe this year)

Shall I get a 50 or 60?

Go to Stockport/MCC but haven't done much sport outside (yet, but want to). Mainly trad. Sort've leaning towards the 60, as we've gone from budget wall rope to something higher spec and more expensive and feel like I'd want the 10 extra meters whilst I'm at it.

How often do you guys use that extra 10m?
In reply to FreshSlate:

If I were in your situation I'd get 35-40m (assuming your wall isn't longer than 20m) of super cheap 10mm rope and use it for indoors and outcrops climbing.

I'd continue to use my doubles for trad and use my infinity for euro and UK sport.

If you are well into working sport routes in UK I'd probably get a cheap 10mm 50m rope to use for indoors and UK sport.

HTH
OP FreshSlate 17 May 2013
Thanks for your reply. one of my local centres requires bang on a 50m rope so can't really buy one smaller than that.

How often do people chop the ends off their ropes? And is the rope pretty much knackered then anyway?
In reply to FreshSlate: My recommendation would be essentially identical to TRip's.

If I was trying to onsight 25m lead routes indoors (as opposed to redpointing the entire time) then I'd be very happy to use a 9.5mm rope for that, so I can't see the maximum height of your local wall, in of itself, as ruling out the option of a shorter rope.

The bigger issue is that choice of ropes in the range 30m-40m is depressingly limited. Various budget 10mm ropes are available but it is much harder to find something good value around 9.8mm with a basic dry treatment.
 SteveSBlake 17 May 2013
In reply to FreshSlate:

70M - Get real! Another 10m...... If I were you I'd get an 80m minimum. And 'lawd save us', it will save having to ask the same question next year.

Please, please, please, buy an 80m.

Steve
OP FreshSlate 17 May 2013
In reply to FreshSlate: I already have the 70 lol . I'm really not quite in the market or another 70-80 even though more routes are heading towards 80m across the channel. Was just thinking whether 50 or 60 is more useful in the UK, (various disciplines).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...