UKC

SD cards for helmet cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 18 May 2013
I just bought a helmet cam and want to buy an SD card for it. It seems SD cards can be Class 2, 4, 6 or 10 but nowhere in the manual does it tell me what class is needed, all it says is "High speed branded SD card is recommended" which is totally useless.
I can't link it but if you search for "NEW!!! HD CYCLE SPORTS HELMET DVR VIDEO CAMERA ACTION CAM HEAD CAMCORDER - BLUE" in ebay, it should come up as the only result.

Can anyone tell me what class of SD card I will need to get?
 xplorer 18 May 2013
In reply to henwardian:

I've recently got a gopro hero 3 silver, and I'm currently using an old sd card that I found in the draw. It's seems to be doing the trick!
 seanjc 18 May 2013
In reply to henwardian: It depends on the bitrate and resolution you're recording in. The class number of the card tells you the minimum MB/sec the card will record at. If you will be recording full HD or with a high frame rate I'd go for class 10 but if not then you may get away with a class 6. Hope that helps
OP henwardian 18 May 2013
In reply to seanjc: Max I will be using is 1280x720 at 30fps recording. Am I really going to need a 10MB/s for that?
 seanjc 18 May 2013
In reply to henwardian: I think you'll be fine with a class 4/6 card for sure. It's only the most demanding modes (>2.7k/0.5s 12MP timelapse etc.) on my HERO3 that require a class 10 or more. Just had a quick peek at the camera you bought and I'd expect it to have quite a lot of compression on the files so the bitrate will be very manageable. Happy shooting!
OP henwardian 18 May 2013
In reply to seanjc: Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...